Can't decide btween marines or army?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lohki13, Feb 4, 2006.

1. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Any body been an milatary police for the marines or the army jsut looking for info on both . Always wanted to do something in law enforcement but then found out by my mom who servered in the marines, that you get paid in the milatary. so i think i'm going to join either marines or army when i turn 19 but don't know witch is better for someone who wants to be milatary police.
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

ok, trying hard not to alienate any of the other services.........

Join the Marines

...and then you too, can have an attitude like mine. :eek:
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I can't speak for the Marines but I can for the Army.
    The U.S. Army has a great police program for the new troop wanting to learn with room to advance into CID and other programs like NSA. How ever the Air Force also offers a great program for AP's =Air Police. Talk to all the recruiters and make the best deal you can. Now if I may offer some advice from an old goat; just as soon as you have your military schools behind you start some on base collage courses and get your two year degree while still on active duty so that if you elect to get out after you first tour then you can get a job with a local police agency, almost mandatory now days!!!!
    Good luck and I wish you the best.
    Ron
  4. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Maybe this will help you:
    Marines 6-8 month rotations in Iraq
    Army 6-18 month rotations in Iraq
    Also they go to the same base for their inital training in MP school. It is just tought by different people.

Ray
  5. Join the Army, see the world, meet exotic people . . . then shoot them! :D

All kidding aside, lohki, if you want training in MP work with an eye to a later law enforcement career, you are very likely better off in the Army than the Marines, and no slight is intended to the Marines by that comment. The emphasis in the Marines tends to be more on assault than pacification and occupation, though the Marines can certainly perform those functions too when required. If you do end up in the Army, you would likely be trained at Ft. Riley, Kansas, only a few hundred miles from where I live here in Southern Colorado, after you complete basic training. The Army maintains a training school for MPs there.

Oh, and one other thing. Marine DIs are really, really mean, while Army training sergeants are nice, soft-spoken, kind, and gentle souls. Yeah, right! ;)
  6. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Well thinks for the input as about serveing tiem in iraq i don't care if i have to go to iraq it's better than serving french fries my whole life at fast food becuas i can't afford college.
  7. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Please don't take this the wrong way..............But whatever you choose it will make a man out of you.

Former Sgt. U.S.M.C. - 6 1\2 yrs. = Service made me grow up.........except for guns.
  8. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i did 6 weeks tdy with the military police when i was stationed at ft. benning in the army way back in the early to mid 70's. had a lot of fun, but it was duty only on kelly hill where i was stationed. didn't do any field duty.
    bhk223
  9. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

lohki,
    I have to agree with 358. Especially with the collage part. Most major depts requires 2 to 4 years of college. Getting it while you are in the service is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
  10. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Yeah killing two birds with one stone is good. Plus milatary service will help me move up into other branches of law enforcement but every time some asks me what i'm goingto do when i turn 18 they say i shouldn't join because the war in iraq but some ppl .
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

First, I'm no lawyer......

Enlisting in the service (any service) is a contractual obligation.... Thus you will have to sign on the dotted line. Your recruiter may tell you whatever you want to hear to get your name on that line. Don't let him kid you...... HE CAN GUARANTEE YOU ACCESS TO MP TRAINING. He cannot guarantee you that you will pass and become an MP, but he CAN guarantee that you will start classes to be trained as an MP....not that you CAN be trained as an MP but you WILL be trained as an MP.

Best of Luck.....
  12. MnHunter

MnHunter New Member

Jay is correct!
    I spent almost 15 years in the military and in the beggining my recruitor made me believe what I wanted was what I was getting but the end story is ASVAB! What you score on that test will pretty much tell you what you can and cannot go for as jobs in the services.
    Military Police jobs are going to require you to score on the high side of the ASVAB, where if you were going to be a grunt, gun bunny, squid, they will allow you with your just barely passing score.
    Plus after so many years in the service and a switch in services Army/Navy, my only suggestion to you is do not take others choices as your own we are all given the right to make our own choices and this is your time to make your own choice. Talk with all the recruitors do not sign anything get all the pamphlets from the ones you are interested in and after reviewing your choices make the call when YOU are ready and set the date and time for your enlistment. Good Luck!
  13. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

I know it depends on test scores but i'm good at aking tests plus i found an asvab study book at a home schooling store .Plus my mom got a hundred the last time she took it before she left the marines. So i think i won't do to bad hopefully.
  14. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Jay is correct; I have been an Army recruiter. If you have qualifying ASVAB scores, the recruiter can put you in MP training. From there it is entirely up to you to graduate from MP training. I wish you the very best.
  15. SixForSure

SixForSure New Member

I can't speak to either, but I can with regard to the Air Force. I was a Security Policeman (as they were called at the time, now they are called Securiy Forces) for my first 6 years of service. If you want to be a real cop and do real police work Join the Army, Marines, Coast Guard, Navy, Boy Scouts, anything but the Air Force.
  16. ROFLMAO! Too true, Six! If you want to be a preppy electronics geek, join the Air Force. If you want to be a soldier, join the Army, Marines, or even the Navy! The Coast Guard is OK too, but more oriented toward coastal interdiction work than traditional combat roles, except in wartime, of course. How many Coasties does it take to do a burial at sea? Answer: One to do the burial, and six to stomp the body into the mud. :D How many Marines does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: Five. One officer to change the bulb, and four Non-Coms to form the color guard. :rolleyes: How many Army grunts does it take to change a light bulb? Five. One PFC to change the bulb, and four LTs to supervise! :eek: