Can't decide which 45-70 to get.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gunnywannabe, Sep 24, 2012.

1. gunnywannabe

gunnywannabe New Member

I've been drouling over the marlin 1895sbl 18.5" barrel 45-70($693) for awhile now and its getting close to time to purchase but I've found the H&R 72770 Buffalo Classic CR-1871 Break Open 45-70 Gov 32" barrel($384) and its making me constantly go back and forth. The classic is much cheaper and would allow me to buy another gun sooner which is cool but its not as pretty and is only a single shot. I need to be swayed one way or the other. My questions are: Will the H&R have alot farther shooting range? Will it be able to handle bigger loads than the marlin because its not a lever action gun?(I have read that lever action guns can't handle the bigger loads I don't know if its true). Thanks for any input and opinions!
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Stick to the marlin. Maybe get on ********* or guns america and look for a used one.
  3. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I had one of the H&R single shots in 38-55 and I hated it. Sold it after about 6 months and found myself a NIB Winchester Chief Crazy Horse 38-55. I love it and it is no longer NIB. For my 45-70 I have a Sharps reproduction and it shoot great. I think the Marlin would be a nice rifle.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Look and drool no further my friend.

Attached Files:

5. gunnywannabe

gunnywannabe New Member

Looks like the marlin is the favorite. I was leaning towards it anyways...Thanks for all the advice
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Where do you see the Marlin for $693.00 ? I paid like 800 something for mine from Buds Guns.
  7. gunnywannabe

gunnywannabe New Member

Sportsworld in tulsa oklahoma.
  8. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

Ruger no 1. Everything else is a compromise.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My buddy bought a standard Marlin 95 in .45-70 and did a lot of research on loading for them.

Most factory loads are loaded down a little bit so people don't blow up their old trap doors.

The lever Marlins can be loaded up a little more, and the Ruger #1 can be loaded up even higher.

In fact many manuals list at least two different sections for the .45-70..."normal" (40,000cup) for the Marlins and "heavy" (50,000 cup)for only the Rugers...and my 1980 Hornady manual has THREE pages, another lower power one (25,000 cup) for Trap Doors, other replicas, AND the H&R Shikari, which I think is the earlier version of the H&R you were looking at...

The .45-70 sections are in fact labeled '.45-70 (Trap Door,)" ".45-70 (1895)" and ".45-70 (Ruger.)"
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

In fact; all factory 45/70 ammo is loaded under 29,200 c.u.p. unless otherwise specified. This is still too hot for Trapdoor actions but is fine for 1874 actions and all lever guns. If you want a lever gun take a look at the Marlin 1895 Cowboy--it has a 26" octagon barrel and a full length magazine tube with deep, ballard cut rifling. It's also IMO a more faithful version of the 1895 than the stainless 18.5" gun, which has a reputation for delivering fearsome blast and noise along with stiff recoil.

If going with a single shot I would recommend the Ruger #1--but it would be a handloader's platform to take full advantage of the action strength. My personal favorite is a Sharps Repro, but again, it's basically a gun for the handloader to play with.

Also; if you are interested in heavy bullets (think 500 gr. or heavier), the lever rifles will limit you in your powder choice to maintain a shorter c.o.a.l. than you need with a single shot. If you want to load up to the rim of insanity, go with the #1 which will take 60,000 psi--basically a .458 win mag. If you want a handy brush gun, shooting factory ammo, the 1895 is an excellent choice.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My brother has the Buffalo Classic, and is just starting to reload. Will this gun handle stout loads? Will it shoot the Ruger loads?
  12. gunnywannabe

gunnywannabe New Member

Thanks for the advice and information. I'll take it all into consideration before I buy.
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have owned both,i did not get the kind of accuracy from the marlin guide gun in stainless that i like.the marlin will accept the hotter loads.i purchased the buffalo classic and fell in love,it will also accept the hotter loads and has both the ability to accept a scope and numerous frount sight blades to change.the williams peep sight is great.when shooting factory loads you can actually see the bullet.my reloads were almost up to 458 win mag standards and not too many people wanted to shoot it twice.i think if you are going to hunt dangerous game then buy the marlin,four rounds is better than one.if your wanting something to shoot at the range or your confident in your ability the buy the h@r. old semperfi
  14. gunnywannabe

gunnywannabe New Member

Thanks old semperfi
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I owned a 1895 and didn't like it. I'm a larger guy and the frame or overall size of the gun was to small for me. I was uncomfortable holding it therefore I didn't shoot well with it. It's A great gun but not a good fit for me. Just my 2 cents