cant find this colt

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by AKfan, Apr 4, 2006.

1. AKfan

AKfan New Member

Ive got a colt commander in 9mm, it has a blue slide and a frame that looks like brushed stainless although I know it is not steel because it is a "light weight". The hammer is not typical commander, instead it is more like a 1911-A1,also the gun has a non-adjustable Wilson Combat rear sight.S/N is 503XX-LW.It aslo has a flat mainspring housing,long grip safty (but not a beavertail style),and rubber grips that have the colt logo. Not a lot of markins on the gun; slide: COLT COMMANDER and COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG CO. HARTFORD CONN. USA, frame: two delta marks one just to the left of the mag release, one under the dust cover,also there is a S on the tridder guard.
    I paid $200.00 for the gun from the original owner,and was told it is just how it came, I cant find anything close to this gun in any price guide books,and colt hasnt returned my calls, can you help?
    thanks
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi AKfan.....welcome to TFF. :)

What you have is a pre-series 70 Colt Commander (made in 1968).

And....it may be "just how it came", but I seriously doubt that it's "just how it came from the Colt factory".

Colt Commanders did come in 9mm....no problem there. But they came in all blue, with plastic grips, an arched mainspring housing, standard grip safety, round hammer, and a standard fixed rear sight (not Wilson).

Sounds like yours has been aftermarket "customized".....but....no worries. Those all sound like improvements on the "as bought" model. I have a Series 70 Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP that I bought new (many, many years ago), that I've done pretty much the same thing to. MMC Combat adjustable sights, long tang grip safety, Pachmayr wraparound grips and flat mainspring housing, adjustable trigger, polished feedramp, and enlarged ejection port. It's my daily carry gun, and has been for the last 30 years or so.

In any case.....if your Colt is a good shooter, and in decent condition.....and you got it for $200.....jump for joy. You stole that gun!!!! :D Decent "shooter" lightweight Commanders usually go for about twice that.

So, forget about it being a "collectable" (which I doubt that it is).....just shoot it and enjoy it.
  3. AKfan

AKfan New Member

Thanks Xracer, thats the answer i was expecting, this is my 5th 1911 and 2nd commander,(first commander is a combat commander). I have never owned a "collector" gun in my life, if they shoot, I shoot'em, and ive put several thousand rounds through this gun, it was just buggin me to not be able to find any thing about it.

...and just to give you something to turn your nose up about, from the same feller I bought this colt from, I also got a springfield "scout rifle" (m-14) $300.00, colt SP-1(still in the box) $600.00, and one very nice poly-tec akm (under folding stock,foldin spike bayo) $300.00. And the old fart sold a 2nd generation colt SAA for $500.00 before I could get to it!!!... ...said he was too old to shoot 'em!

thanks again,
    AKfan-aka-Jay
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bud, you done good, as long as that old man's son in law don't find yer ass!
    Everything you bought was sub 'Blue light special' prices, and all desirable weaponry, excepting the Poly-Tech.
    Where, exactly, was this gun show???
    I can drive a thousand miles, and make money, at those prices!
  5. AKfan

AKfan New Member

HEY, WHATS WRONG WITH MY POLY-TECH???

AK <-- FAN