Can't Identify This Musket

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FloridaFlintlock, Aug 12, 2012.

1. FloridaFlintlock

FloridaFlintlock New Member

I need some help. I've looked this up but can't find the crest stamped on the look or a flintlock with a frizzen shield like this. I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    More pictures of the musket along with caliber and any/all markings on ANY/all parts of it would be a help. Full stock or half, sling swivels, length of barrel, length of overall, as well as trigger guard info and pictures are a must or helpful. What little ifo from the pictures are of little if any help at all. The brass flash guard is just that and we use them on reproduction flinters all the time in re-enactments. What that brass flash guard is for is to keep the flash from the pan from blinding or distracting the soldier/shooter to the right of the musket in a line. They are/were used on many makes and models.

Bottom line is a LOT more pictures and info is needed.
    Just my 2 cents.
  3. FloridaFlintlock

Here are a few more pics.

Attached Files:

4. FloridaFlintlock

a few more

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I tried tracking that coat of arms, with no luck at all. Maybe someone else can offer an idea. It looks like three eagles or falcons, close, rampant, a rather unusual combination, but the searches I tried came up with nothing like it.

The sideplate looks odd and may be a replacement; the same is true of several screws.

Other features date it to just before or probably after 1800.

Jim
  6. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

With the barrel bands held in place by flat springs, the double throated cock, the hammer stall, and the flash guard, it is a reproduction Charleviile musket.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Somebody deactivated it by removing the frizzen spring and driving a dowel down the bore. They also let solvent run down the wood that ruined the finish.
  8. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Reproduction of a Charleville, yes but not necessarily a recent repro. In the Napoleonic period, French were having arms made in several other countries. It looks old enough to be one of those.

Memory lane --- I had one of those that was converted to percussion, probably brought over by the South in the Civil war. My Dad bought it for me 1940 in Mobile, AL for $1.50 in a used furniture store. I shot it a lot using glass marbles for balls. Most of the time it could hit the hinge on the outhouse door at about 25 yards - till my Dad saw it damaging the wood around the hinge.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Shooting marbles is awesome!!
  10. Fullstock

Fullstock New Member

I agree that it's an older repro.