Can't order frearms

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lentz, Mar 16, 2010.

1. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Why is it that gun stores can't order a specific handgun for folks,like Gander
    Mtn and others? Yet a pawn shop owner can?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Lentz, sounds like you need to change gun stores. Most are in business to make money, maybe yours isn't. Any good gunstore should be happy to make a sale even if the have to order what the customer wants.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

What do you need? I would be glad to price something for you and check availability.
  4. lentz

lentz Former Guest

I went to academy sports,and they had the cimarron new sheriff.But it was sold and they could not order one.Same wth gander and I guess a local store named ft.thompsons.
    I found a heritage roughrider wiyh 4.75 barrel,but they could not order a 3.5.
    sounds strange to me!!!
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Sometimes the gun store has old stock and the gun manufacturer has discontinued the model you choose. I was looking at the Taurus web site last nite at a Model 617. They showed about 6 models that all looked pretty identical but 4 of them had the word "discontinued" under it, but some dealers might still have them in stock. I don't know why they change models so often but many manufacturers do.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It's not "can't", it's "won't". Like car dealers, they want to get rid of old stock (in some states they pay inventory tax on it) rather than order something. Any firearms dealer CAN order any gun in current production. He might not be able to get it due to circumstances beyond his control, but there is no reason he can't order it.

Also, some small stores don't run an account with a distributor and have to shell out cash; if something is really weird and you are the only guy who wants one, they may not want to take a chance on getting it in, then you telling them you changed your mind. Offer to put 50% down, cash in advance, and minds will change, quickly.

Jim
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I ran a gun shop for 5 years, there wasn't a gun out there that I couldn't order if it was available to the general public. I might not get the best price on some brands if I wasn't that brands preferred dealer, but I could get it, if available. Hell, I once ordered a Bryco 9mm in gold and nickel! :eek:
  8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

You should be able to order from anywhere you want that is dealer and have it shipped to your local dealer. The shipping dealer will need a copy of your local dealer's FFL before they can ship. Your local dealer will charge a small "transfer fee" to do the paperwork.
  9. wpage

wpage Active Member

Find a new guy who likes paperwork...
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry I havent checked back with you. I can get you the rough rider in 3" for 204.00. I looked thru the cimmaron catalog but didnt find the new sheriff model you mentioned, but I can get anything they have in stock.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010