cap and ball Colt SAA

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

buckaroobarnes
    (12/16/02 9:53:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All cap and ball Colt SAA
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy
    Anyone have any experience with the Uberti made cap and ball Colt SAA that Cabela's sells? I have been thing about buying one, if I can find a nice used one at a reasonable price.
    Thanks and Merry X-mas

Packet
    (12/17/02 9:41:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: cap and ball Colt SAA
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have owned 3 different cap and ball revolvers. A Uberti 1860 Army 44, an 1851 Navy 44, and a Ruger Old Army 44. While they are fun to shoot, they are a pain in the ass to load unless you are really into nostalgic shooting. If you like the black powder smoke and boom, there is an easier way. I graduated from cap and ball to black powder cartridge shooting. A Colt, or copy, single action revolver with black powder loads is a lot easier and even more fun to me. If you want a good used cap and ball, check Auction Arms. I see them there all the time for very reasonable prices. If you want to try BP cartridge, a Ruger Vaquero is a very nice revolver and less than half the price of a Colt. I have owned two of them. Great shooter and never any problems. Hope this helps.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/18/02 3:33:06 pm)
    I have the Uberti 1858 Remington .44 cap and ball. They are fun to shoot and are pretty accurate with 25 gr of FFg or equivilent Pyrodex Pistol powder.

I also obtained a conversion cylinder that allows me to shoot .45LC with reduced loads thru the revolver. Much easier to clean, except tends to lead the barrel quicker.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

buckaroobarnes
    (12/18/02 10:03:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del rugers? not the same as the original!
    Packet...I've had a few Rugers and just can't stomach their grips..they dont feel like the Colt SAA my hand has gotten accustomed to over the years (tho I have a place in my heart for a Super Blackhawk, it's amazing how hot you can loadem for that gun) and if we can't afford what we like then we need to take up needlepoint or toll painting. As to the 1858 Remington and the R&D conversion cylinders I have 4 of them. They are almost as much fun to rebarrel, resight, replate and srew with as all of my SAA's (Colts and clones).....That and the loophole they create. Got a few cap and ball's too, just looking for a couple more..would like a few 1851 navy's...and a few of the SAA cap and balls!

gunnutt
    (1/30/03 7:13:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: rugers? not the same as the original!
    I have a 1860 army from Cabellas Mabe By Pietta, and it is very nice.

igrlik
    (2/5/03 10:01:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Cap & ball Colt SAA
    As far as I know Colt SAA (Peacemaker, Frontier...) was the BP cartridge weapon, isn't it??? And this C&B dummy conversion is for "downgrading" it to use without licence... Don't like abuse history!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:41:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cap & ball Colt SAA
    You'd be suprised how many Colt and Remington c&b revolvers were converted back in the middle and late 1800's to shoot cartridge loads, even by the manufacturers. Doesn't sound like an abuse of history to me.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

igrlik
    (2/6/03 3:02:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cap & ball Colt SAA
    Yes of course, but this is reverse - from cartridge Colt SAA original to C&B replica !!!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 3:27:17 pm)
    Gottcha' now, Igrlik -

Was confusing the c&b conversions to cartridge, rather than the c&b's that look like SAA Colts. I've often wondered why anyone would want one of these, but figured it had to do with balance and general looks.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"
  2. seawolf7103

seawolf7103 New Member

Comethill...you missed the whole point. The gun we're talking about here is not a replica of a civil war firearm. It is a replica 1873SAA that uses cap and ball rather than metallic catridges. Pay attention before you start lecturing people
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. COMETHILL

COMETHILL New Member

SEAWOLF7103 Did you know that Cap and ball guns were the guns that were used in the old west. These are the weapons that were carried by most settelers after the civil war .when mattalic cartriges were invented these black powder pistols were converted to handle them.Still in the begining most people continued using cap and ball as they could not afford the newer ones. As time went on people converted their pistols to handle metalic cartriges. And by the way at 25 feet those 44 caliber b.p guns were pretty acurat and very deadly. Theres a magazine that comes out every 2 months called shoot magazine. Its all about guns of the old west. loaded with facts and information. Its for a thing called cow boy action shooting. Lots of people think of B.P GUNS AS NOTHING BUT TOYS. But at one time these were the real deal.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  4. COMETHILL

COMETHILL New Member

Original Cap and ball calibers were 31,36,and 44.An easier way of loading is to use pyrodex pellets. Just slip one in each chamber insert a wad so there is no misfire. load your round or conicle bullet and your done.