cap and ball revolver

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Oct 30, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have been looking at several cap and ball pistols I don't know which one to get I am a civil war reenactor. i want one that would be approately go with the era. I like the colt army or the remington
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I think the 1860 Colt and the 1858 Remington would both be suitable for the reenactments. I'm too lazy to go look it up at the moment, but I believe that the Union army bought a lot more Colts than Remingtons.
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

Are you blue or gray??:) Enlisted or Officer? Ground pounder or horse
    soldier?

There are replicas of pretty much every civil war era revolver ever made.

1851 Navy was carried by a LOT of soldiers, but just about ANYTHING that
    went bang was used. The common soldier on both sides typically bought
    their own handgun. Everything from S&W pocket 22's to LeMat's saw
    combat use.
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I am in gray and in the artillery. And I am a pvt. Look at dixie gun work I like the colt army or the colt walker. But the one I like the spiller and burr one the best
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Buffalo Arms also has a wide variety to choose from.
  6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Johnny Reb used pretty much what he could find or capture. One thing I'd consider is that the majority of the Reb enlisted men were poor farmers, so a LeMat or other expensive/exotic revolver wouldn't be all that common. Colt's were more widely issued to Union troops, and so more likely to be captured in or after combat than the Remington.

If you were talking purely as a shooter, I'd go with the Remington. Accuracy with that rigid frame is very good, and they were and are a solid piece of equipment. My humble opinion is that the Remington is easier to maintain than a Colt's revolver.
  7. BillM

BillM Active Member

Heck---If you like the Spiller and Burr go for it!

Griswold and Gunnison, Leech and Rigdon are other Southern produced
    guns that are available as (somewhat) true to form replicas.

An artillery private in "The war of Northern Aggression" could have carried
    almost anything that went bang as a sidearm, or carried nothing at all.
    It would be a gun purchased with their own money or captured on the battlefield, so anything made in that time period or before would be "correct".

ETA: Here's an interesting link http://civilwarhandgun.com/obscure.htm
    A few on there I've never even heard of----
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I'm sure that the senior citizens out there will remember Nick Adams in the TV series "The Rebel", carrying a double-barrelled shotgun "pistol".

I wonder how many Confederate privates might have actually used something like that.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I understand that shotguns were pretty popular with Confederate guerilla units, especially in the border states like Missouri. These were of course percussion guns, but still deadly at close range. Many were cut down from the typical farm gun length to make them handier. That was so in the War of Southern Rebellion, so indeed a Rebel private may have used one of those.
  10. 22shot

22shot New Member

If ya wanna be a bear; be a grizzly..

This is a .44 Colt Dragoon 3rd Model repro wih flip up "express" sights and shoulder stock. (U.S. CavaIry)
    In their day; they were the most powerful revolvers made. (They weren't called Horse pistols for nothing...)

The powderflask is repro Dragoon (originally issued to go with the gun). I've taken out the adjustable powder measure for detail.

A similar one was carried in a empty flour sack by little "Missy": in one of those John Wayne westerns.

Made by:
    S.Marco-Gardone VT
    Brescia
    Italy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  11. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I've always admired those Colt Dragoons, but I never got around to buying one....

I remember that the Kansas City Museum used to have (might still have, I don't know) an old 2nd model Dragoon on display, which had been carried by a lawman in some eastern Kansas town. Couple of notches carved into the grip.
  12. 22shot

22shot New Member

remmington1990..

If you want to be a "war crrespondent/photographer"; have this in your "kit".

Remmington Pocket .31 revolver

CVA repro
    kit built

Attached Files:

13. 22shot

22shot New Member

Finally, whatever you "Civil War" buffs do; don't leave home without it!

.41 Derringer
    Turner Kirkland
    Dixie Gun Works
    Belguim

(Can't help it; going crazy with the wifes' camera!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id go with a replica of the richard mason i believe its called.
  15. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Naw....

Go for the KA-BLEWIE... Get a LeMat. 9 Shot 44 cal cylinder, and a second smooth bore barrel, sized to the 20ga shotgun size... You can clear out old trees on your property with this one !!!

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David
  16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's post war by a number of years. Some privates were issued revolvers in the beginning of the war but most were lost or thrown away. Officers and cavalry carried revolvers. Southern cavalry especially carried up to eight and they swapped the saber in favor of a sawed off shotgun.
  17. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I finally got an cap and ball revolver I got the 1858 remington army by pietta I shot it today and I really like it