Car insurance is killing me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deputy Dawg, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Just received my car insurance renewal talk about sticker shock, i know it has been high ever since my daughter stated driving, but every time the bill come in I feel like I need a jar of vasoline.I have a 1999 Suburban,[wifes] 1999 Chevy Z71 truck, [mine] 2002 Sebring 4 door, my daughter's who is 20 and a full time college student.My insurance costs $3,800.00 a year. How much does any one else out there pay. This is for full covarage.Ever since Texas passed the law where you have to have insurance way back when it seems like every year it goes up, because they know you do not have a choice and yes we have shopped around for a better price.All I can say is OUCH.............................................................................................
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord, Marlin drives a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my daughter drives a 1992 Buick Century. She just turned 18 and is a high school senior. Our auto insurance is close to $3,000 a year, and that's after multi-car, multi-line, good-driver, seatbelt, and good-student discounts. :rolleyes: I'm sure if my daughter were driving a newer car we'd be right up where you are.
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

What company are you with, if you don't mind my asking?

I use Progressive and they have very reasonable rates. In fact, every year I shop around to all the companies who claim they can save me money and I end up staying with Progressive. Even switching over to State Farm where they promise me I can save money because my home owner's insurance is through them, isn't as cheap as Progressive.

You must be a loving parent! Your daughter is 20 years old and you're still paying her insurance? My mama made me pay my own insurance from the day I turned 16.
  4. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Up here in lovely New York insurance is disgustingly expensive for me. I have an 87 park avenue and a 91 s10 blazer and I pay about 2000.00 for liability only. In about 1.5 years my d.u.i. should come off but it will probably not save me too much anyway. I should point out that I live in the city and am single. I also pay monthly which increases cost. On the bright side I only pay 90.00 a year for classic car insurance on my 72 Cutlass. They limit my driving (as far as thay know)
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I have had them all (probably not). It has little to do with being a State law anymore......they used it to their favor when that first went into effect, but now they use your credit history against you. When that happened, I dropped any and all insurance companies that use this system and will never do business with them again. I have used "Farm Bureau" here in Texas for the last three years. Home/Auto. I have yet to find any that can even come close for coverage-price-service. And to top that off, each year I receive a discount for prompt payment and loyalty, which is about ten percent a year.
    I also get discounts for buying certain cars/trucks above and beyond dealer rebates and incentives. Somewhere between 500-750 cash back.
    And many other discounts, not that usless car rental crap/motel and such.

While my credit is just fine, it appears to me that companies will try anything to stick it to anyone if they can, and who knows whats next to reach into your pocket.

LTS
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Geico wanted to sock it to me for arround $900 a year for full coverage. I went a different route....

mike
    gn

ps
    Dawg, the mental picture of you with a king size jar of vasoline..... :eek: By chance, what do you use for an aplicator ?!!! :D
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

A bronco, 2 pickups, and a motorcycle for around $800 a year. And I was complaining?

When #1 son started driving I told him that he had to pay for the increase in premiums. He did.

Now that he is on his own, his insurance payment is almost the same as his car payment. OUCH.