The Firearms Forum banner

car seat holster

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Country101 
#1 ·
Does anybody know of a good car seat holster? I would like to have one mounted under the seat of my car, but cant find any. I've found one that goes on the seat belt, which a little too obvious for me, and one that goes on the front of the seat which seems like it would be in the way when you get in and out, but cant find anything else. Any ideas?

I've thought of having a friend make me one. It wouldn't be a real good fit since she's not a professional, but it would hold it it. I'd like it to attach to the springs under my seat with differant loops and strings so that I could adjust it pretty well. That's the best way I can think of attaching it. I think I might have seen on that you pretty much glue to your seat. I didn't like that idea.

#2 ·
Country, I'm not sure of anyone making one specifically for this purpose, but I rigged one using a ballistic nylon holster from a shop in Lakeland, Florida. I bought it at a gun show for cheap - as I figured all it had to do was hold the gun, not look pretty. It had a velcro thumb strap and a extra mag holder - this was for a full size 1911.

What I did was put the gun in it, sit in the truck seat, and hold it under there as if I was drawing it. Held in this fashion, I had a friend get under there and temporary it in place with some zip ties through the belt loop on the holster. Once hanging about right, I added more ties to keep it from flopping around. Worked fine. It was essentially tied to the seat springs in about 6 places.

Insure you have the seat where you want it, and check for clearance if you move your seat a good bit, like to get in a back door or something. Don't forget about other "doodads" mounted under there like radio gear and such - all can snag the gun if the seat is slid around.

#5 ·
I agree I've never seen an under-seat handgun holster advertised. It does sound like an easy do-it-yourself project though. The main thing is to have the holster secured well enough that it won't move around once installed. You might reach down and come up empty-handed.

If it were me, I'd look around at the next gun show for a holster with lots of attachments for straps, like an old shoulder rig or a thigh holster with thumb break. Both types are designed with plenty of loops for securing the holster with leather or ballistic straps.

The other thing you could consider is to acquire a left-handed holster and attach it to a wood base which would be secured on the floor below the seat. The angle of draw should be the same for either method if it's done right, and the holster should not move at all. You'd still want a right handed thumb break with a leftie mounted to the floor.

The thumb break would be a must for me, because I've stopped fast often enough to know what happens to anything loose under my seat -- it winds up sliding around under the pedals.

#6 ·
After the first of the year, I think I'll have a friend make me one. She works with leather, and if I can get her to do it I can have loops made onto the holster where I can attach it any way I want. I may even have her put velcro on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.