Car Shopping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pinecone70, Feb 6, 2010.

1. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Pinecone is going used car shopping....Wish me luck.

Gee, I bet I could get a good deal on a Toyota right about now. :rolleyes:
  2. pawn

pawn Active Member

good luck!
  3. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Private party or dealership?

I have spent my life working for dealerhips, so if you have any questions . . . let me know
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Dealership probably. Found a decent Buick LeSabre that I can probably get a better price on. I'll be checking the Toyota dealership too, probably....Heh. I don't know what to think, but at least I'm in no rush to find a vehicle right now.
  5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Have never bought a new vehicle. Satisfied with most of them. Ran the wheels off all of them.

Now that I'm retired I bought a new F150. Only 52,000 miles. That's showroom new to me.

Best of luck on the new vehicle. Hope you get a great one.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Got a great lesson in buying a vehicle, many years back from a retired Marine SgtMajor :

1 - There is Never such thing as a "Sale" at any car dealership.

2 - There is no such thing as an "Honest salesman" while they're on the clock. ( not to say that they're going to outright lie to you, but they sure as heck aren't going to just give it up and tell you all about every discount and their bottom line as soon as you walk in the door )

3 - It's your money - make them work for it.

4 - The more kids and the more Coke and Cocoa Puffs you can get them to eat before arriving will greatly impact the time to driving them to their bottom line price!!! ( no $%!& this works, my brother and I have both scored big time; amazing how fast they work to get you done and out of there. They still want a sale, no matter how bad. )

5 - If you can pick out the salesman on the bottom of the sales list, ask for him, he/she will be the most eager to get the deal done in your favor. The highest sales person is most likely the best smooth talker and most full of bs.

6 - Know exactly what You are looking for and what You want; don't get talked into something that you end up "thinking you liked". Do the research and know what the following values are : trade-in, loan, private party and retail.

7 - Dont ever act excited or overly interested, salesman prey on emotion to push the sale in their favor. The more "take it or leave it" that you give them, the better.

8 - Always buy on the last day of any month. This isn't a given that you'll get a better deal, but definetly can increase your chances of talking them down a little more. Doesn't really matter a whole lot, but statistically the last day in Feb is deemed the "best day to buy a car". Granted, stats are only as good as the data provided to the imperfect stat keepers. But I can guarantee you, that any "end of the year closeout or inventory reduction" line is just that, a line!
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

No disrepect, but I gotta tear this one apart

Got a great lesson in buying a vehicle, many years back from a retired Marine SgtMajor :

1 - There is Never such thing as a "Sale" at any car dealership.
    Yes there is

2 - There is no such thing as an "Honest salesman" while they're on the clock. ( not to say that they're going to outright lie to you, but they sure as heck aren't going to just give it up and tell you all about every discount and their bottom line as soon as you walk in the door )
    Yes there is

3 - It's your money - make them work for it.
    Its our car, you need to prove that you want it as much as the next guy. If not, we will keep it from you so we can make money on the next guy

4 - The more kids and the more Coke and Cocoa Puffs you can get them to eat before arriving will greatly impact the time to driving them to their bottom line price!!! ( no $%!& this works, my brother and I have both scored big time; amazing how fast they work to get you done and out of there. They still want a sale, no matter how bad. )
    This just makes you look like a bad parent in public. The price will be the same no matter how mis behaved your spawn is

5 - If you can pick out the salesman on the bottom of the sales list, ask for him, he/she will be the most eager to get the deal done in your favor. The highest sales person is most likely the best smooth talker and most full of bs.
    The WORST piece of advice of all these. How do you know he doesn't sell fewer cars for 10x the profit?

6 - Know exactly what You are looking for and what You want; don't get talked into something that you end up "thinking you liked". Do the research and know what the following values are : trade-in, loan, private party and retail.
    Good advice, but be careful; You have NO idea what the true value is. You can get an idea, but I have seen KBB get more people screwed than helped

7 - Dont ever act excited or overly interested, salesman prey on emotion to push the sale in their favor. The more "take it or leave it" that you give them, the better.
    Terrible advice.
    If you can get the salesman excited, he will work harder for you. If you seem uninterested, he will leave you for the next up

8 - Always buy on the last day of any month. This isn't a given that you'll get a better deal, but definetly can increase your chances of talking them down a little more. Doesn't really matter a whole lot, but statistically the last day in Feb is deemed the "best day to buy a car". Granted, stats are only as good as the data provided to the imperfect stat keepers. But I can guarantee you, that any "end of the year closeout or inventory reduction" line is just that, a line!
    This one always bothered me. SO many people actually think this one works, and they couldn't be more wrong.
    The best day during the year to buy a car is . . .. Today. Yes, today. Not tomorrow, not next week, not the end of the month . . . . Today.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

For some reason, mrk can picture pinecone in a dark green tacoma!
  9. pawn

pawn Active Member

Dark Green Tacoma. Tacoma.... Yeee-haaaa. Errr, ummmm. I mean Uff-daa

OK Mr.K: What is that beautiful rifle in your signature. :confused: Don't have clue, but I bet it is a 308 win.

ps- I am wrong all the time. :D
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Wow! You are DARN good!

It IS a .308 - and it's my 'dream' rifle. It is a late 60's .308 built on a Mauser action with all the 'trimmings', & it has an interesting history. Suffice to say, that it is an 'obsolete' foreign special applications rifle, offered with a paticular German made scope, and a set of top 'o the line Aunschuts (sorry bout the spelling) non-optic sights, for some reason pictured with the front sight in place with the scope attached. (I know from contact at work that special application folk sometime use non-optic sights, but I've never had the nerve to ask 'why' - there's a strong 'need to know' ethic where I work, and since I don't 'need to know' this in order to do my tasks, it would raise a red flag, were I to ask.)

Alas, it is 'dearly' priced. I could get my smith to build a custom .308 on a Remington 700 action for about 2/3 $$ what 'dream' rifle is priced. But there's something about this particular rifle . . . . . . I guess we all have to have our dreams! I just 'picture' mine, LOL!

duh, just realized that I should have replied in a p/m! sorry for the 'drift' folks!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Heh, excellent thread drift--back to guns!! LOL! Tacoma is a bit big for me.....:D

So, the car seeking is for a used car, as I would never buy brand new, it is against my religion. One important thing I discovered was that my '97 Blazer is now valuable because of the ridiculous cash for clunkers program. Hooray! There are no vehicles under $5k available like this one, and mine is going to give me 2/3 more value as a trade than I figured. Awesome.

I did find some nice Buicks, but one stands out as a possible must-have. It's an '02 with gentle mileage, originally a program car. It is in a heated show room, detailed inside and out, has the 3800 engine I like. I will have to test drive it of course, and if everything works and it drives well, it could be the one. I am pretty good at this car-looking business, I know exactly what I want and what I would pay for it, and I don't let the dealer talk me into anything. This project is way more fun because I'm not replacing a vehicle out of absolute necessity! Score for me.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There is one thing in your second post that will probably work in your favor. If you are in no rush to buy, you have time to look for the best deal. Good luck in your search
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

So the Chevy 1 ton I was going to suggest doesn't work. But it just has so many uses.

Attached Files:

14. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Ah, but I have a Chevy 1 ton dually already.....:D
  15. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

So, how about method of payment? Is it true that they give better prices if a person finances through their particular fiance entity? A friend told me that and I just can't wrap my mind around it. I prefer to pay cash, of course, I think taking out a loan and paying it off right away is just a lot of paperwork and hassle.

Anyone have an opinion on that?