Car vs. Deer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DixieLandMan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok, gun season has been on here for about 2 weeks now. Not been able to raise my rifle to shoot a deer. Minding my own business coming home from work Wednesday night, a deer decides to play chicken with me. Well, end result, I crash into deer, deer goes on its merry way, car is damaged and the wife is worried about the 'poor deer' that got hit. You know, if I had not known better, I would swear that deer looked back at me and flipped one of his hoofs at me. Luckily, wife and me are ok. Of course it could not be one of my old cars, had to be the new one. Anyone else have these issues?
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

They are crazy around these parts right now (central NC). I had to swerve through two one night with my son in the car. Swerve through meaning they jumped out right in front of us almost in the middle of both lanes about 10 feet apart...the closest in my lane. I couldn't stop fast enough so I goosed it and pulled something that looked like a racing move...tires screeching the whole time. My son looked at me saying....."I didn't know you could drive like that!" I laughed and said......"Daddy has some skills punk."
  3. wsas7816

wsas7816 New Member

I live where suburbia surrounds a golf course and also meets an open space preserve. The main road is usully a battle between cars and wild turkeys but before Thanksgiving I passed a buck (yep that sounds strange) that was loitering in someones front yard. Just after I got by, it ran out to the road and started to chase my car then veered in front of on-coming traffic disappeared in the shadows of another house.
  4. geds

geds New Member

Several years ago, my friend's son married and the newly weds moved into a house down the road from us. He was still in school and she was working to try and support them, so money was pretty tight for them. On his way home from a night class, he hits a deer in front of our house and totals his car (totaled the deer too). His new bride chews him out about not being observant, etc. etc. A week later, she hits a deer in front of our house and totals her car (and deer)! We lived in that house for 13 years and never saw anybody else hit a deer there! Carma?
  5. twobit

twobit Member

Have hit a few deer over the years. Our drive to work is 38 miles one way. Five miles of county road where we usually see 10 -30 deer, then 33 miles of 2 lane highway where we see another dozen or more. What is bad is when you hit a 200 pound feral hog. They are black and dart across the road. Hit one with the Cherokee one morning before daylight. It slammed into the left front wheel. Did $1600 in damage to door, fender, etc. I hate hogs.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Usually in a fight such as that, car wins by a TKO. Car bent and broken, deer dead. In this case it sure seems like the deer wins with a KO.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Last fall my wife was driving back home from shopping about 8 PM. The road is not real narrow but has woods on one side and a RR track on the other. Well a deer decided to make a run for the RR tracks and dashed out just as my wife drove by. She hit the deer, or rather the deer hit her, just a glancing blow on the right side of the car. Didn't do very much damage except knock out the headlight lens cover which is about $1K to replace.

The adjuster came out, looked at the car, and declared that she had not hit a deer but it looked like she hit maybe another car and they didn't want to pay the full amount of the claim. That was until I reached over and pulled a pinch of very plainly deer hair out of the rub strip along the door side. She got her lens replaced by the insurance co. ;)
  8. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I hit a deer with my van on my way to work 2 years ago...4k in damage and it didn't even look like much at all :(
  9. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Never hit one my self, but one gets hit every few weeks on the road behind my house. They cross the road right behind my house trying to get from the field on my side, to the woods on the other side.

The last one that got hit was a large buck. A pickup truck made contact with it with his side mirror and kept going. The next car behind the pickup hit it dead on, and then the car behind him rear ended him. The guys car was totaled, and the deer was left laying in the middle of road still alive. I was thinking of getting my shot gun and shooting it with a slug, but as soon as that thought came nto my head another pickup truck came along and ran right over it, and kept on going. The deer was dead after that.

I could not believe the way trafic was flying by. We could not even get people to slow down, yet alone stop. Most were talking on their cell phones, and not paying attention. Its a wonder no one got killed that night.

Sorry to hear about you car, hope all goes well, and that yu get it back on the road soon.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Gotta be aware of your surroundings all the time. Never know when a BG wants to ruin your vehicle.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Where we live there are deer killed every day on our roads. I have hit them with the car, and with the motorcycle. I've been lucky in that none of our deer/vehicle contacts have been costly, and no injuries either. I put up a game camera, and then took it down after it had been up only 6 weeks. 1200 pictures in 6 weeks. I got enough deer pictures!
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

13. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Well, met with the insurance guy today. Over $1200 in damage. The front has to be replaced, headlight too (2010 Ford Fusion to get an idea of what is damaged). A few other minor things but at least we are both ok.
  14. geds

geds New Member

Same car we have - now I'll be nervous driving down the country roads!