Caramelled mushrooms anyone?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Salvage33, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Was fooling around in the kitchen the other evening, steaks on the grill, and was sauteeing some mushrooms on the stove to cover the steaks with...

1 lb of washed, sliced mushrooms
    1 clove of minced garlic
    3/4 stick of margarine...or butter
    1/4 cup of red wine (I prefer burgundy or port)
    2 or 3 dashes of Tobasco sauce
    3 oz of Coke or Pepsi

In a skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine, toss in the garlic, splash in the Tobasco, stir, and add mushrooms. Stir until all mushrooms are coated with margarine, and starting to "cook down". Add wine and stir, letting the liquid cook off, then add the Coke or Pepsi...lower heat a bit, and continue to stirring. When liquid starts to thicken, remove from heat and serve.

Oddly enough, you will taste the garlic, wine, and get just a hint of the Tobasco, but will not taste the cola. They're sorta tasty and the mushrooms go well with venison, elk, and roasted duck breast.

John
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. ameriskin

ameriskin New Member

i knew there was a reason i joined this forum! a whole section on food?!?!?!?!!!!!!! oh yeah, i'm gonna like this place!

i'd like to try that recipe with pheasant. i guess that'll have to wait til fall.

cody
  3. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    I did a pheasant baked in the oven, with a cornbread/oyster stuffing. Was quite yummy! <burp>

John