Carbide Dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by circa1885, Mar 8, 2011.

1. circa1885

circa1885 New Member

Is it necessary to use carbide dies for plated brass? I thought that I heard that it was necessary but can't remember for sure.
  2. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

circa, carbide dies are nice because you don't have to lube them for processing, that's all I use
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You will need carbide dies. Plated or non-plated doesn't matter. If you don't lube the cases you must use carbide dies.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I just love people that answer questions not asked.

No. You do not need to use carbide dies if reloading plated brass. You can use regular steel dies. If you do use regular steel dies, however, you will have to lube the brass. Whether it is nickle plated or whether it is brass brass is irrelevant. Steel dies need lube.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Just top be clear, this discussion is about PISTOL dies. And the use of carbide dies makes it not necessary to use case lube. But if you have non-carbide dies (steel dies) you have to use lube on any case, plain or plated. You can not reload either steel cases or aluminum case successfully or safely.

For rifle cases whether the dies are carbide or not you HAVE to use lube. Carbide dies for rifle cases makes little sense to me except they might last longer than plain steel ones (two lifetimes instead of just one lifetime). I am not sure but they also might burnish the surface of the case body (??) but that is not necessary at all.

To further clarify, carbide dies remove the lube requirement only for straight walled cases, not for any case, pistol or rifle, that has a necked body. Those require lube.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. Orin

Orin Member

Butttt! If you lube your cases, one type or another, You tend to get less scratches. A plated case may get kinda worn after many resizings. Whatever, its kinda nit picky. Like many, I prefer pure brass.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

You also get less scratches if you use better dies too.

LDBennett
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

If I have a die, any die, that scratches a case, it's going back to the manufacturer or the trash.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Most case scratching comes from them not being clean enough before ya run em through the die (carbide or steel...don't matter).
    All it takes is one dirty case to drop some grit inside the die and the rest of the batch will get scratched up too.

If the die itself is doing the scratching...as in with brand new or known clean brass...
    Then, like Steve, I'd be sending it back to the manufacturer for replacement.