Carbon buildup

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

reload9mm
    (2/17/03 12:23:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Carbon buildup
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The hardest thing to clean on my AR 15 is the bolt, and bolt carrier. I get a lot of carbon buildup on the end of the bolt, and, I figured out you can take a semi sharp pocket knife and scrape the curved bolt to get the carbon off. I haven't found a cleaner to disolve the carbon, CLP, Buches bore shine, etc. The problem I'm having, is cleaning the inside of the bolt carrier. I noticed a buildup starting inside, and I don't want to scratch the inside of the bolt carrier to get the carbon out. Bushmaster sell a tool for $29.00, but there has to be a cheaper way to clean out the carbon. Any idea's? Thanks...
  2. rocket469

rocket469 New Member

Just did mine today

Mine locked up last week-end, I was shooting, and the trigger locked up, So I took it all apart, pulled out the hammer, and found 3 expended caps (primers) in the trigger group, squirted it all down with MPro7, put it back together and that works.

*I noticed massive build up on the bolt,, I tired MP7, then went to brake cleaner, then took it to work, tried a little Pd680, or something, then went to the dremal with a little wire wheel. It is all clean now, Wear your safety glasses.
  3. izaakb

izaakb New Member

carbon cleaning

Go buy some Castrol SuperClean degreaser and a $50 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

Mix the SuperClean with 1/2 water (it is water soluble) and leave it in the ultrasonic cleaner for about an hour.

I have gotten ~~BLACK~~ AK pistons to look brand new with this. The Castrol SuperClean is biodegradable and water soluble and you can put it down the sink with no guilt.

The ultrasonic cleaner I have is a cheap type with a bath just big enough to put a disassembled AR bolt + carrier in it. If you do this once every few hundred rounds, you'll be amazed.

Here is the cleaner I refer to:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2541432350&category=7321

You'll never worry about carbon buildup again.
  4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE New Member

Thats pretty cool, hafta get me one!
  5. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Go to your local auto parts store and get a 1 gallon can of Berryman's Carb/Parts dip. The agents in dip attack carbon better than anything else. Don't get that crap on your skin though, its nasty. We use it to decarb diesel pistons when rebuilding engines, put em in the dip for a couple minutes and wipe the carbon off or spray it off with brake cleaner.