Carbon Fiber Barrels

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 9:33:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Carbon Fiber barrels??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone with any experience with these babies? Are the as accurate as they say? They seem so light...what about durability? Are they easy to rebarrel to or is it a factory job only?

I think it would be ideal for a 300 winmag...especially for elk with the light barrel. Wonder if the lightweight barrel would affect recoil. Sometimes you can do too much in the lightweight department and it will kick you so hard it hurts to fire it.

All opinions welcomed. thanks swede
    Wyoming Swede

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/27/02 9:42:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Carbon Fiber barrels??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also wondered about this Swede.

I like the idea of the lighter weight but is the barrel still stiff or does it whip around like a wet noodle?

What about if it gets banged against something like a pickup door. Will it chip or dent or something?????
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 10:00:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Carbon Fiber barrels??
    You're going to see more and more of these. Remember that the barrel itself is generally stanless steel, wrapped in the carbon fiber. Stiffness and resultant harmonics similar to a short bull barrel, without the weight.

If you slam it in a car door, it will dent the carbon fiber shell. Normal wear/tear is no problem. Use care like you would with any rifle.

Reducing weight will always increase recoil. Physics is still physics.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/27/02 11:02:48 pm)
    Swede, I have had great success with Carbon barrels. Consider this, most have a stainless barrel liner.....er barrel...that is as thin as it can be for shooting ( I MEAN THIN DIAMETER!) Then depending on the process application, they are brought up to nearly an inch in diameter. There is a company up close to you that started this craze and can build you one, or just the barreled action and by now....maybe barrels to be smithed in. That does not change, if you can change a barrel, carbons are the same at the receiver ring. I have seen these big bores sporting a 26" tube and weight less that a factory rifle in the same caliber.....they can also add weight to tame powerhouse`s. Benefits, 10x tougher that all metal barrels....PERIOD! weather proof, accurate, and under substained fire......no wondering MOA. Look up "Christensen Arms" (sp) from .22 to .375. This will give you all the info. I have handled only one about two years ago, this was a complete rifle built by them, very sweet and slick action 06. Very accurate. LTS
    If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack." - Jeff Cooper

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 3:56:44 pm)
    Got a carbon fiber replacement barrel and synthetic stock deal from Butler Creek a few years ago for my 10-22. Didn't think the accuracy was a good as with the regular heavy factory barrel, so put everything back to original. Sure was a light sucker when put togther, tho.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/02 7:38:55 am)
    I'm starting to rethink my opinions on carbon fiber, put a steel 20" bull barrel on my 10/22 now would like to put on a lighter barrel does anyone make a 20" carbon fiber barrel for a 10/22? all I can find are 17"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 8:43:05 am)
    Well Fred, there is a company that makes a 20" carbon for the 10/22. Should I say, claims to. I have been after them for almost a year now to send one or information. If they ever contact me, I`ll post the info.......as of now, I ain`t believing them. LTS

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/1/02 10:45:13 am)
    The 300 WinMag already gives a pretty good kick, I'd think that making the gun significantly lighter isn't going to improve that any!

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 7:55:19 pm)
    Next question...can you brake a carbon barrel???
    Wyoming Swede

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/1/02 8:12:08 pm)
    Would that strong steel liner bend very easy compared to a regular barrel or would that carbon make it very strong so it will not bend.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 8:27:23 pm)
    Define break...

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 9:19:19 am)
    Sorry...I meant muzzle brake. I had just heard of something called the Vais muzzle brake that is supposed to be effective yet incredibly quiet. swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 10:00:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Carbon Fiber barrels??
    Probably not impossible, but difficult. Remember these barrels are going to be around 1" in diameter. Aren't some of them available with factory porting?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 10:05:43 am)
    Good morning to you Swede, I`ll try to explain these barrels a little more in depth. Understand this is based only on the above manufacture (Christensen(sp)). When this company started.....over 5 years ago, this is what they did. If a paticular rifle in a paticular caliber was to be built....it had to be available in a heavy barreled version. They would test for accuracy....once proven the HB was accurate, they did the following. Turned the barrel down, much like a lightweight sporter barrel....even thinner. A slow process on a submerged oil bath lathe, to prevent warping. Once done, the carbon application was started.....this consisted of many layers of kevlar and carbon fiber sheets wrapped under controlled conditions, with each layer being pressed to remove all voids. Then the barrel is brought out to the required diameter, for stiffness. If the barrel was not accurate to start with, doing this would not make it so. When completed, a custom stock or the factory HB stock is then relieved to fit the new barrel. Think of this as a new factory barrel, nothing is removed from the receiver end. It is then threaded into the receiver just as a smith would do and headspaced. The end of the barrel, (muzzle) can be threaded to accept any muzzle brake......but this would be done in the first steps of barrel prep., prior to carbon application. The brake could be removed when not needed and a thread protector installed. If it is completely but by them, it will go the full gamit....trigger job, jeweled action, ect, ect. The cost is not anymore that a nice upper end factory rifle. Remember, though these rifles will be lighter, but it`s easier to add weight, than remove it. This would be the ideal rifle for a mercury brake in the stock, though some don`t believe in this little device and say just add lead weight in the stock (same thing) it is not....mercury is liquid and moves in a baffle.......lead don`t. I used mercury reducers in my skeet gun many years back, the shoulder tells the facts, as it was much easier to handle than just weighted shotguns. Best advantage of the carbon barrel is the harmonic balance through the entire length. Regards LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 3/2/02 10:08:36 am

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 3:05:04 pm)
    Hey - Nice article, LTS - enjoyed reading it and even learned something!

The mercury recoil reducers DO work - had two of them installed in a Rem 870 that I used with a slug barrel years ago, and the recoil was really dampened. 'Course, they added a couple of pounds of weight to the gun, anyway!

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/02 9:32:06 am)
    Appreciate the info LTS. very informative. swede
    Wyoming Swede