Career opportunities in firearms or related industries?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnBrainard, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I'm a software developer and very passionate about guns and would love to find a job in the firearms industry. The problem is, I have little idea as to where to start looking. I've looked on manufacturer websites at their career opportunities and will start looking at sites like Midway. What other places can I look that you guys know of? Most career sites host listings by recruiters and offer very little, if any information on the company looking to hire.

If it helps any, I keep a fairly updated copy of my resume here:

http://john.brainardphotography.com/home/resume

I'd also like to know who else on the forum is in software development.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

John , theres a squillion old battle rifles out there , if you can restore them , folks will pay , many become rusty hunks fast and folks will pay to have em fixed and restored and even here in the land of gun control theres enough old LE's and others that folks can make a living outta them , folks are lazy , they'll pay rather than spend 4-5 days with etch and steel wool and rust remover and degreaser to bring back a battle rifle

set your self up that way ( not expencive at all ) and do a few cheap and use em as reference works , promote your self and see how you go , the promotion is the thing , gun shows hand out cards , mil rifle sellers etc , put a stack of cards on their counter

good luck either way eh
  3. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Also look into a FFL license with your computer skills you could create your own business website, really for alot of people convienence and price are why we buy online.
  4. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I'd love to work on rifles, but on the side, not as my career. I've spent about 20 years of my life doing computer programming and I still enjoy doing it.

Midway is hiring an Application Developer according to their website. Unfortunately it's in Missouri and my wife and I want to be in Arizona or that region.

As an aside, I've thought about learning the Ruger 10/22 inside out and doing custom builds for people. That would be fun, but I haven't even done my own rifle yet!
  5. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

perhaps some web design for gun shops, or bigger sites like the online gun auctions?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011