Carry Gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Chief Mac, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Chief Mac

Chief Mac New Member

Just got my GA Firearms license. Looking for a little advice. Want to buy a small (Size not caliber) reliable carry gun. Am considering a .38 snub-nose or .380. My other pet gun is a .357 but way too big for carry in a minimum clothing climate like GA. Any Suggestions?
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I have this .357, and carry it in my front pocket.

Attached Files:

4. TWilliams

TWilliams New Member

I, like you have recently gotten my GA carry permit. Since then I find myself with a continuous case of GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome). I have about 8 handguns ranging from a SA 1911, 2 Sigs, Ruger 345, .38 snub, XD9, Firestorm, NAA .22. I have narrowed the carry list down to the 1911, and the Sigs. I have a holster ordered for the 345 so I may change my mind. All are good carry guns.
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

LOL!!!

Usually, when I mention to my wife that I have GAS, it means something completely different!
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

GAS, that's a good one!

I too live in GA - South of Macon. Depending on weather, I carry a .38+P Ti Smith (442), a Kimber Ultra 1911 45ACP, a Kimber Full Size, or the new Ti Smith 325 in 45ACP.

The 38 goes into a front pocket holster or a ankle rig. The 1911's go into a belt holster in the small of my back and covered with a shirt or jacket. I have not decided on the optimal carry mode for the new Smith yet.

The 38 smith can be had in 357 too, but in a snub nose, I don't think I'm giving much up going with 38+P's.

Just food for thought....
  7. Bill

Bill New Member

I am a strong advocate for the Keltec .380. Why? Becuse I like to carry almost everywhere and like the gun to be unnoticable to me and others. The Keltec does that and while not the most powerful of pocket pistols its one of the few that really carry nicely in the pocket. I've never had a failure to fire or Jam at the range.
    Also pocket pistols get alot of wear. The Keltec ain't purty and I don't mind the wear it receives. I have a really nice .380 Colt, but even tho it's a small gun its way more noticable to me in the pocket. Lastly for safety I like the long pull DAO trigger, almost impossible to have it discharge in the pocket or accidently after drawn. Not a gun to go target shooting with but should do the job for typical self defense situations at close range. I feel a lightweight pistol in the pocket is more effective than a heavyweight power house that may have been left home or in the car.
    Bill
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Good points Bill. Is the Kel Tec in 32ACP? I was thinking that they made one in 380 as well - I know the NAA comes in 32, 32NAA, and 380. Those are nice guns too, but heavier than the Kel Tec.

The 38 I carry goes in a Kramer pocket holster and hides well in a front pocket of most khakis and those kinds of pants.

I agree with carrying something - versus having a gun at home. I often refer to the 38 as my "get back to the truck gun," as I usually have heavier artillery there.
  9. Bill

Bill New Member

10. mspears

mspears New Member

While you're deciding on a 'small' carry gun, just remember to pick a handgun that you may have to fight for your life with. Think about self defense senarios and just what your carry gun may be called upon to do. This is a tool to help save your bacon so you can go home to your loved ones at the end of the day. Don't scrimp on this important weapon selecting one of a diminutive size and caliber just because it's a little easier to conceal and a little lighter to carry. Select a weapon of a major caliber that 'will not' fail to fire and that is comfortable to shoot and practice, practice, practice. Select nothing less than a .38 +p. 9mm, .40, .357 and .45 which are good choices. Choose the format you are most comfortable with (revolver or semi-auto) and practice reloading drills until it becomes second nature. Once you select a handgun, just dress around it. My $.02. Good luck.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  11. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

My two cents worth, the Kel-Tec P-3AT is a great carry gun, because you are more likely to carry it. No one will know you have it, you'll likely forget you're carrying it. The chances of getting in to a gun fight are so slim, I don't feel the need to constantly lug a full size .45 around. The smaller gun will let you dress the way you want and do the things you want, with no one being the wiser. My Bursa Thunder .380 will faithfully put rounds through a duct taped 4" thick phone book, so I have no doubt the Kel-Tec will do the same. That should get you out of any gun fight you're likely to get into. If it doesn't, what the hell, we all gotta die of something. The important thing, in any caliber, is shot placement.