Carry in a vehicle

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Apr 27, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Where do you carry when driving? Where is best?

I always thought a cross draw would be best, but whenever I tried it, it caused problems. A) you tend to reach for the place you carry most, for me always right side waist, and back a bit. 2nd) you're unlikely to fire from a moving vehicle, so dont need it on the move and thus dont need easy access while seated, and C) As a guy I knew found out the hard way, dont take your sidearm out early and rest it on the passenger seat or under a leg, in a heavy stop it will go walkies.

Opinions, views, experience?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  2. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

I have a shelf thing from cabelas I cant remember what its called,but it has pegs that fit in to were the sun visers are and the visiers clip back on underneath, It holds log gun pistol ammo, what have you. It works great i just keep my double action .357 up there. Its concealed and easy quick access.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When I get in the car I take my CC weapon from it's holster, and get in. I place the CC weapon under my right thigh (I'm right handed), buckle up, and drive away. In TX a hand gun in a car must be concealed, wheather on your person or not. If I need it, I got it quick!
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I tend to tuck mine, still in the pocket holster, into the split of the bench seat in my truck. It holds the gun securely in place in an easy-to-draw manner. Of course, it's usually the third option when I'm driving. Option 1 is the truck itself (either as an escape or a weapon), and option 2 is the shotgun.
  5. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I have a holster on the side of the center console of my SUV. It attaches by way of a large adhesive backed piece of velcro which the holster sticks to. It sits literally an inch or so from my right thigh and is mostly blocked from view by my leg. If my right hand is resting on my thigh, all I have to do is move my hand a couple of inches to the right to draw the pistol. My concern is possibly being carjacked while sitting stopped at a traffic light. If your weapon is holstered and you are wearing your seatbelt, precious time will be lost trying to draw it in that scenario. Since I constantly scan all around me while sitting still, I can have my gun at the ready in about one second if someone on foot approaches me. (Call me paranoid, but I have done this several times when some unsavory looking dudes have gotten too close to my vehicle! Thankfully false alarms each time so far.)
  6. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

In my truck I carry a rifle on the drivers side floor, a 1978 AKM 7.62x39 Folder and a CAR in other drivers behind the front seat. JUST AS EASY TO ACCESS and volumns more fire power. We quit gun racks years ago, most folks think rednecks are unarmed when the see a hotshot in the back glass........
  7. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

I am with HKruss. I have a car holster that has the large velcro and attach it where I can easily get to my gun. Once seated I remove the gun from my inside pants holster and place it in the car holster. It is stuck to the right of my seat on the side of the consol. That way even with a seat belt on I have easy access to the weapon.
    I also have it another one attached to the headboard of my bed. As I sleep it is just inches from my right hand.

[​IMG]
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Yes; I carry in my car. On my belt holster while I'm driving... in an emergency you could have to leave your car in a hurry, so I prefer the gun going out with me. (Has happened to me in the past)
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Kinda funny. Last Wednesday I got chewed on for driving with my sidearm in my right hand during a practice demo out of town.

CCW, I find it easiest to put my BUG in the console. If I need a handgun quickly while parked, (waiting outside store, in drive through etc) I'll grab that.

I don't like unholstering my main carry piece every time I get in and out. It's pretty blatant to passers-by. Laying or tucking weapons in/on seats makes me kinda uncomfortable; I don't want my weapon ejected from the vehicle in a collision either. At a minimum, a weapon not anchored fast will not be where my fingers left it when I want it.

For the most part, I consider the vehicle to be the most effective weapon and leave the engine running like I was trained.

Up until someone is actually reaching in the vehicle with you, no matter what firearm you have, if they're armed you are at a terrible disadvantage. You'll end the threat faster by striking them or fleeing than you will with a firearm. Do a static car-shoot and see what I mean. Between the blind spots, glass barriers, loss of situational awareness (sight and sound), and restricted movement...as opposed to the threat practically unlimited...a driver/passenger is a sitting duck. PSD teaches you to either move the vehicle or get out.

To say again, IMHO, the best move is usually going to be stomp the skinny pedal. However, if you do grab your handgun, it's best to be grabbing the doorhandle with the other hand.
  10. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Very well put delta13soultaker. It certainly opens my thoughts of where and how to defend myself in a vehicle. I would then use the velcro holster for my bug instead. Placed where it is concealed and easy to get to. You will still be able to get to the bug and also be armed if your decision has to be made to leave the vehicle.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    delta13, want you to know that I like reading your posts. They are well thought out, and well written. There is no perfect way to CC for any thing that might arise. We all do our best. A few years ago, locally, there was an off duty female cop out doing some shopping, she was carrying. On the way home she noticed a car following her. She pulled her CCW and placed it under her right thigh. When she pulled into her driveway, the car following her pulled up across the end of her drive. As she opened her car door, she noticed in her outside mirror, that the front seat passenger of the car that had followed her, was also getting out. As she exited her car she had her CC weapon in her strong hand, gun up, back to the BG. As she turned, she extended her weapon, and was looking down the barrel at the BG just as he fired. His shot was a miss, hers return fire did not miss. She stated that she thought the BG was so surprised to see her gun, that he just jerked the trigger on his gun in an involuntary reflex, and completely missed her. This BG was more than ready to shoot, and to kill, to get what he wanted, her SUV. Now, I don't know how fast some of you guys are, but I am not fast. For me, this would be the fastest way for me to get to, and use my CCW, and still keep it out of sight as the law here requires. I am careful that no one will see me holster, or un-holster, my CCW. Getting into, and out of my vehicle, while holstering, or un-holstering, also gives me plenty of time to assess the situation around me, as I scan to see if I am observed.
  12. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I use a Fobus Roto-holster in their propriatery mount. The mount bolts to the floor anywhere you want it (mine is placed so the butt of the glock30 sits just below my right knee) and the roto holster snaps in, making the angle of presentation adjustable.

Chris
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I keep my Kel-Tec in my right front pocket. It goes everywhere with me. I usually travel with my .40 holstered under my armrest, and my RIA .45 rides in a carry bag on the passenger seat or on the passenger side floor with the strap hooked around the gear shift. I have had a few walkies during a hard stop, but with the strap around the shifter, I can always grab it and have my .45 out in a couple of seconds.

Oh, I can reach over my seat and have my M-1 Carbine out faster than grabbing the .45 :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  14. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I agree with delta13, no matter how you cut it, seated in a car against an armed attacker puts one at a serious disadvantage.
    Having said that, along with my edc in it's usual spot on my right hip, I drive with my 38sp. snubbie on the inside of my left (clutch) ankle......very quick to access while seated, and while not perfect.......what is?
  15. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Carver, thank you for the kind words.