Carry in National Parks

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by LurpyGeek, Jul 6, 2009.

1. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

Hi Folks -

Can I or can I not carry in our National Parks at this point? I know that the law was passed saying that CCW in National Parks would be allowed, and then a judge blocked the passage, and then I believe it was included in another bill and passed again. If it did pass again, I'm not sure what date it takes effect. I'm going to some of our National parks soon and wanted to be sure.

Thanks
  2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Feburary 2010 I believe is when it goes into effect.

My question is, will this law force the states to allow concealed carry in national parks? Some states now let one carry in the parks, some (such as NC) don't.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Call the park where you are going and talk to them. Most will let you have a gun, but some want the ammo seperate form the gun. I have carried in most National Parks, they didn't know, and I didn't tell! No one knew I was carring except the wife and I. CCW means concealed!
  4. 45nut

45nut New Member

Me too!! :eek: :D :D
  5. Mouton

Mouton New Member

Always better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 IMO.

Vince
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Always have; Always will.
  7. 45nut

45nut New Member

8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

BBNP, my favorite place to escape, even though it's getting rougher. We’ve always behaved as though we were responsible for our own safety, and never had any 'events' as a result.
  9. DebS

DebS New Member

Yes, you can carry open or concealed in all National Parks and Forests starting February, 2010, regardless of the retarded laws in NC (or any other state) that won't let you carry in State parks.

That'll mean we NC'ers can carry in National P&F's as well as McDonalds only. :mad:

10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

What do you mean "McDonalds only"? I carry anywhere that is not posted "No weapons" or off limits by law. About the only place we can't carry in NC is banks, anyplace that serves alcohol for on premesis consumption, schools, gov't buildings, anyplace that charges admission to enter, public demonstrations, rallies, parades, funerals, and places posted "No Weapons." Granted, some of those "no carry" places are kind of stupid.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. DebS

DebS New Member

You're kidding right?? You deserve more, bcj, the Second Amendment is your God given right.

Dare to dream to be able to protect yourself in area's where other states can. Commmon off limits in one of many Midwestern states:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal
    governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
    2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative
    members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
    3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons,
    prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
    4. Any elementary, secondary, or vocational-technical school property;
    5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
    6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
    7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

Yes! You can protect yourself at public gatherings, emergencies, parades, restaurants that serve alcohol, movies and other gatherings charging admission except sporting events, all parks, funerals, picket lines, demonstrations, private health care facilities! AND, most other states have the Castle Doctrine too, so when that meth head comes in to kill you and your family for some drug money and you take him out in your own home, you don't have to give his family your house, cars, 401K AND savings account!

This is where you can not carry in NC:

1. Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. This also applies to all property owned by
    any school. §14-269.2
    2. Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3
    3. Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3
    4. State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the
    grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice.
    §14-269.4
    5. State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)
    6. Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14-415.11(c)
    7. Financial Institutions. §14-415.11(c)
    8. Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or
    present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any
    private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of
    its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any
    dangerous weapon. §14-277.2
    9. Areas of emergencies or riots. §14-288.7
    10. Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or
    statement.
    §14-415.11(c)

Don't settle.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I agree that some of the restrictions on carry in NC are stupid. But when you said "McDonalds only" you made it like we can't carry anywhere. You think it's restrictive in NC, try some of the liberal bastion states, IF you can even get a CHP. I'm NOT defending the gun laws here, as I think ALL gun laws are a violation of the 2nd Amendment. With that said, IMO, EVERYONE should be allowed to carry ANYTHING they want ANYWHERE they want to ANYTIME they want to. And as far as the "Castle Dcotrine" in NC, it only applies in the fact that you are NOT required to try to retreat before using deadly force if you are on your own property or in your own home. ALL other places, you are required to try and retreat if possible beofre using deadly force.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  13. Marine1

Marine1 New Member

NC Defence Free Zones

I just wanted to add to DebS post.

1. This also includes Day Care it is considered a private school.
    2. Includes: Movies, Sporting Events, Fairs, flee markets, concerts
    3. Any Restaurant the serves alcohol, If HT has a wine tasting for the day.
    5. The strip mall and parking lot where the DMV is located at.
    8. That covers about everything.
    9. Who would ever need a gun during an emergency or riot?
    10. What is a "conspicuous notice or statement."

Do not forget you can not carry in State Parks, Forest, or State Wildlife Management Areas.

There are more Defense Free Zone in NC these are the big ones.

Please that NC State Reps Deb Ross, Ronnie Sutton, and last but not least Democrat Majority Leader Hugh Holliman for allowing bill to die in commitee without being heard.

Our tax dollars at work. examiner.com
  14. DebS

DebS New Member

I understand your point, but absolutely refuse to settle on the mere pittance the NC legislature has thrown me as area's to carry. I don't feel grateful to them for 'letting' me have a CHP or carry at a Dunkin Donuts without a sign where the MORE liberal bastion states may not. I don't consider those bastion of liberalism states to be the 'CCW Standard'.

I'm sorry, the Castle Doctrine I was referring to was the CD that Deborah Ross is refusing to schedule (supported by Maj. Leader Hugh Holliman), for fair hearing in the NC House therefore, will never be passed although it previously received overwhelming bipartisan support in the Senate.

That bill (S928) protects the in home defender financially. That is the CD that most states have; when I refer to 'most states' I should clarify I mean the majority of America which resides between the left and right coasts.

Perhaps it all comes down to perspective or viewpoint. Imagine coming here from NY, DC, etc.: you'd be grateful to carry at all.

Now, Imagine coming here from Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, etc. and the list of approved places to carry is incredibly stifling and frankly often unbelievable. Most importantly, the rights these states have were hard won.

So from my perspective, I find I am allowed to exercise my God given right at McDonald's and okay, I'll begrudgingly include Walmart, Federal Forests and my drive through dry cleaner. ;)

But I certainly can say that the Representatives in the NC House that are carrying out a clearly anti-gun agenda's make my life here in NC nearly as safe as those that have their 2A rights 'allowed'.
  15. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

1. AFAIK, you're correct.
    2. Not flea markets unless they are posted "no weapons" or charge admission. If a flea market does NOT charge admission to enter the premesis and does NOT have a "no weapons" sign, then you can carry.
    3. Correct. Any public place of business that serves alcohol for consumption on premesis. This does NOT inlcude a grocery store that sells alcohol as it is not sold for on premesis consumption.
    5. Wrong. The statue plainly says the portion of the building where the office is located. It was explained to me in my CHP class that I'm only restricted from carrying in the actual physical location of a gov't office. Example, there is a DMV tag office in a local strip mall in Gastonia. I cannot carry in the DMV office. I CAN carry in the parking lot or the other stores as long as they are not posted "no weapons." Or if a gov't office is locted in a highrise building. I cannot carry in the actual gov't office, the rest of the building is fine as long as there are not any "no weapons" postings or the other areas are not restriced by law.
    8. Yes it does, and this is one of the ones that I think is REALLY stupid.
    9. I'm guessing you're being sarcastic;):) A riot or an emergency is most definately a place where you may a firearm for self defense. Another one I think is REALLY stupid.
    10. A sign, posted at ALL enterances, that states "No weapons allowed, concealed or otherwise." They generally have the outline of a handgun in a circle crossed out.

I'm not defending gun laws, as I think they are ALL unconstitutional. I'm simply stating that some places are more restricted than others. And there are many states that are more friendly than NC.
  16. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Oh, I don't feel any gratitude to NC for "allowing" me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights either. As for persepective on being from another state, I'm from Florida. Florida seems to have much looser gun laws than NC now.

I've not heard of that proposed bill, but it doesn't suprise me that it'll be killed. The General Assmebly and the Governor's Office are all controlled by liberals. Just take a look at the new "budget" that was passed. It's not a budget, it's nothing but tax increases, including a surcharge to be assessed when paying taxes! A TAX levied when PAYING TAXES?!!?:mad:
  17. DebS

DebS New Member

I think we agree on most bcj.

I think my frustration regarding NC denial of CHL carry rights comes from the apathy of it's residents.

Although you may not be familiar with the Castle Doctrine Bill or the Restaurant Carry bill, I am all to familiar with the players and their personal agenda's.

I have spent uncounted hours and hundreds of dollars in trying to get NC'ers to care, getting help from the NRA-ILA, GOA, NC GOP and the GRNC. Volunteering my time to try to get a movement started to just keep up with the other states allowing the most basic of 2A rights.

I got nowhere, mainly thanks to Deborah Ross, Ronnie Sutton and the NC constituents themselves. These bills have gone unheard year after year and I kid you not, I have gotten more than one response saying, 'Oh well, let's hope maybe next year it will pass.'

The House has recessed for the year. There's really nothing else that can be done for people who don't appear to care that their state has gone from a pro-gun state to an anti-gun state in a matter of a few short years. I don't intend to do any more work on this subject, c'est la vie.

If one doesn't like it, they can leave. As a matter of fact, one individual, whom I never met and had never offered any help whatsoever to improve our lot, was kind enough to suggest I 'not let the door hit me in the ass on the way out'.

I intend to take his thoughtful advice, and will be happy to do so when the time comes. :rolleyes: