Carry modes

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Teeeem
    (2/21/01 3:10:52 pm)
    Reply Carry modes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just out of curiosity- how do you fellows carry your 1911? I quickly learned that there is no one-size-fits-all holster out there, but I'm interested to see how others pack ol' slabsides. To what degree do you adjust your clothing styles? What holster type do you prefer in what conditions? Favorite brands, etc?

Also, on a tangent, how easy (or difficult) is it to get a ccw where you live? I live in Georgia and thankfully it is a "shall-issue" state, to the extent that it is incredibly easy to get one if you have a clean record. How is it where you live?

Keepin the discussion goin...
    Good forum, gentlemen!

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/21/01 3:19:56 pm)
    Reply Re: Carry modes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only thing we can carry concealed in Missouri is cow pies. Make sure not to holster fresh ones.

Missouri only allows law enforcement, certain licensed guards, and state elected officials to carry concealed. The rest of us have to strap em on our hip in the open.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

M Opaliski
    M Opaliski
    (2/21/01 5:56:21 pm)
    It is becoming easier in Delaware than it ever has been so I hear, I am 26 and have lived here only 9 years. There are a few hoops to jump through and as I see it anyone who is dedicated enough to satisfy the requirements should be issued a permit ... mental state and backround permitting.

One must file wuth the Prothonotary for the county in which you reside, after satisfting the requirements ... such as a certified class given by an instuctor recognized by the state ... this will include live fire exercise of a minimum of 100 rounds in the presence of the instructor ... must show proficiency, submit 5 letters of recommendation from fellow citizens of the county in which you reside to atest to your moral character, sobriety and what not ... cannot be family, run ad in the legal section of local paper stating your intent to apply for a concealed deadly weapon and submit affadavit from the paper stating that the paper ran the ad, submit to finger printing with the State Bureau of Investigation, submit recent photos for ID purposes, lastly ... wait.

I carry my 1911 IWB behind the right hip in a Wilson Combat "Covert Companion" holster. I have no problem keeping it concealed ... there have been times that my wife and I have been out and when she put her hand on my back she had to lean in toward me and say "I didn'y know you were bringing that one too". The omly alteration in my dress has been the addition of a t shirt of some sort on a daily basis to avoid the rubbing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/21/01 8:33:00 pm)
    In winter I use a De Santis horizontal Shoulder rig
    with a double mag pouch attached on the right side and
    another double mag pouch on my belt for a total of 40rds.

In summer I use a high ride Pan Cake flat to the body
    belt holster and most all of my holsters are suede Pigskin
    lined to protect the finish, I also carry 1-2 back-up
    guns which I keep on my non-dominant hand side of me which
    in the case of a struggle you can draw your back-up while still maintaining your hold on your primary weapon.

If total concealment is a must then I carry two of my
    smaller weapons one inside the pants and one either in
    the other pocket or in a leg holster and this goes for
    Summer conditions as well.

I moved to VT 3 years ago from Tenn and before that Upstate
    NY.

VT has no gun laws, you may carry open or concealed and it
    is also a Class 3 state so one can legally own a Machineguns
    provided you file the Federal forms and comply with federal
    regs.

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 7:34:20 am)
    I live in Georgia also - no problem with permit. I use a Wilson Combat Lo -Profile holster to carry my Commander. Conceals well , fast access , and very comfortable. Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/22/01 7:52:17 am)
    To tell the truth, I have around 30 holsters of different
    types and none of them are totally comfortable when I wear
    them for long periods, the reason I prefer the shoulder
    rig most is I can take it off easily when at home, with the
    belt holsters I am continuously pulling my pants up lol,
    with the ankle rigs after awhile my ankle starts getting
    sore and with the inside the waist rigs no matter where I
    put it, it digs into me, I have found the shoulder rig to
    be about the best compromise for me.

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 12:14:16 pm)
    Yeah, I used to have to do the " pants pull up thing ", too. I invested in a Wilson Combat pistol belt and haven't had to pull and tug anymore. Could be your belt, what kind do you use ?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 1:21:22 am)
    For daily wear and carry I use a 1 3/4 DeSantis leather
    belt with Jeans on.

Tac

TYRVR
    (2/23/01 9:38:43 pm)
    Galco "Royal Guardian", used to be suede, now it is high polish from wear, Va. is A "Shall Issue" state,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 10:07:13 pm)
    Great!

We need to really come together these next 4 years or they
    we may only be talking about the 1911 instead of owning
    them.

Tac

shooter45 us
    (3/4/01 8:31:58 pm)
    Teeeem , where in Georgia do you live.

AntiqueDr
    (3/5/01 12:38:46 am)
    Reply Carry mode
    Cocked and locked in an original Yaqui belt slide. God bless Texas and CCW.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/5/01 3:50:11 pm)
    Reply Re: Carry mode
    I'm with ya on that one Doc!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

shooter45 us
    (3/7/01 10:14:46 am)
    Matthew, I saw in your post that you own a Wilsons Covert Companion holster. How do you like it. I have thought of buying one , but may have put in off to long. ( don't see it in the new catalog.) I'm not a big man ( 5'11 210 ) but had concerns about comfort. This model looks bulky but photos can be misleading. Just wondering. Thanks, Shooter
    The Firearms Forum

M Opaliski
    (3/8/01 9:49:05 pm)
    Hey Shooter ... I do have the Covert Companion. It is a nice holster and very comfortable, the backing is firm and oversized to keep the the frame from digging into you. I like it and I find it real easy to wear ... it is open top which some folks do not like, keep that in mind. It is IWB so the only thing left to conceal is the grip area. I have found that I can conceal my 1911 with ease ... now!

Just takes a while with any new holster, you always seem to feel as though you are printing ... it goes away.

***EDIT***

You are right about the discontinuation, they are using a new design it appears. Perhaps a call to them ... may have a few left.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Edited by: M Opaliski at: 3/8/01 9:50:30 pm

Teeeem
    (3/12/01 8:51:46 pm)
    sorry, bub. i drive a truck...takes a while to reply internet access is few and far between out here.. i live in lawrenceville- ne side of atl.. ya know where that is? will check back when i can....

polishshooter
    (3/24/01 7:46:24 pm)
    I first started with a Rogers poly/leather lined pancake front-break in 1984, when I first started in IPSC. I came out the top, didn't use the front break. I always intended to get a "better" comp rig.

I have now had it over 15 years, competed heavily for the first 5 years, but not since 1989, but it still works fine. It's the only holster I've owned for my .45 since I got it.

I have 2 matching clip-on single mag holders, and a safariland skeleton metal one, besides my other basic belt ones.

I like the rig because I can go from completely unarmed to armed with my 1911 and three spare mags in seconds without "Unbuckling."

When I competed, I shot at one point over 1000rds/week, competed in the Ohio IPSC sectionals, full assault courses, etc, and never had a retention problem, even after I went to 6" and modified it. I even cut it to accept optics on my .45 when I tried NRA Action Pistol.

It still works fine, but I don't know if it's made any more.

I never had a problem with condition one carry.

However, it's a big piece to carry concealed without a jacket. I now carry a Makarov inside the pants with hammerdown on empty. Yeah, I know, minor caliber and all, but it's comfortable.

In Indiana, CCWs are $25/4 years, and you can get them in about 2 weeks.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 4/8/01 11:40:01 pm

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/25/01 7:17:02 am)
    Same here Polishshooter, I take it we are neighbors. I've owned several 45's and never carried 1. I always seemed to choose my S&W mdl.60 in a Desantis ankle holster.
    Don't start on me yet. I have recenty aquired a 1991 A-1 compact I'll be sporting in a Bianchi shoulder rig, or I just got a Belly-Band holster I find comfortable wearing a T-shirt between it and me.

Goose3201
    (5/22/01 4:13:07 pm)
    In the same mode as "for carrying, no gun is too small...for fighting, no gun is too big" remember that carrying a concealed pistol is not supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to be comforting.
    Clint Smith

Yes a change in the way you dress and your lifestyle usually has to occur. In colder regions this isn't as much of a problem, however being in Florida it can be a real pain in the ass. As a LEO I carried off duty in a number of rigs...shoulder, ankle, hip...but always thought that IWB holsters were uncomfortable and unwieldy. Until the first time I went to Thunder Ranch. The key to any holster system is that it is a stable platform to fight from (i.e. reload one-handed/weak-handed, clear malfunctions one-handed, etc.) For me, this has been an IWB. Try to find a system(holster, belt, mag pouch) that is affordable to you and that you feel serves your specific needs.

I highly recommend any of Mitch Rosen's www.mitchrosen.com or Milt's Spark's www.miltsparks.com gear. Both are a little pricey but the craftsmanship and customer service are outstanding. I personally prefer Milt Sparks. I also found a guy by the name of Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com outside of Gainesville, Florida who makes great stuff and is very affordable. All 3 of these guys make belts, holsters, light pouches, and mag pouches. I would also highly recommend purchasing a quality belt from someone who makes gun leather, along with the rest of your rig.

Here are my recommendations in order of comfort and concealable(for a 1911 full-size or Commander):

1. Milt Spark's Versa Max 2 (This is the flattest holster I have ever worn)

2. Milt Spark's Summer Comfort (This is a little wider but keeps the pistol high and tight)

3. Milt Spark's Watch Six (This is a newer model, looks similar to the VM2 and therefore should provide excellent concealment)

4. Andrew's Custom Leather MacDaniel II

I know I did not include any of Mitch Rosen's stuff, he does great work but I prefer the above. For range work or an everyday open carry holster I would recommend the Milt Spark's 55BN.

So you know, there is no perfect method of carry. Each has its pros/cons, but I have found that IWB is the most stable, practical platform for carrying and fighting, that is as long as you are willing to make the necessary wardrobe adjustments

Unfortunately, I am sometimes forced to carry in an ankle rig(Glock 27) due to dress requirements at work. While I prefer carrying a .45 any day of the week and twice on Sundays, my motto is that something is better than nothing. Regardless of your mode of carry be sure that you spend a great deal of time practicing your draw stroke, especially if you are forced to carry in multiple modes. Also, while I would always preach that it is wisest to carry only one weapon system, ample training with a different system will solve any problems you may have transitioning if you are forced(or choose) to do so.

Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Goose

Edited by: Tac401 at: 5/23/01 12:46:23 pm

Rons Toys
    (5/23/01 5:53:11 am)
    Welcome Goose! sounds like you're going to fit in here very well. Come by offten.
    Ron

Alphamale
    (5/23/01 12:47:40 pm)
    Welcome to the board Goose
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

Goose3201
    (5/23/01 3:19:59 pm)
    Reply Great Forum
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! This is a great forum that seems to have some very sincere and knowledgeable people. Again, thanks,

Goose

"I may get killed with my own gun, but they're gonna have to beat me to death with it `cause its gonna be empty."
    C.S.

M1911A1user
    (6/9/01 7:45:41 am)
    Reply Carry modes
    I live in Georgia where it's relatively easy to obtain a CCW. Pay your money at the court house and if your records clean - your CCW holder!

I normally carry cocked and locked in Galco leather. I use various styles of belt holsters some open top and some with retention straps but I prefer the retention strap and full barrel coverage.
    I have used a Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB with a S&W model 4516 but it never felt right. I had difficulty drawing the pistol from a position so close to the body and it was just uncomfortable for me.

I just recently purchased a Fobus plastic paddle style holster that is interesting. Very light and retention seems good even though it is open top. I haven't really carried with it that much yet so the jury is still out. One thing that is good about it is the fact that no break in is necessary. A nice tug, and the pistol comes right out. Sweet! I'm wondering if the hard plastic will wear on the finish. I normally carry two spare mags in either belt or paddle mag pouches.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/9/01 8:00:16 am)
    You can expect some finish wear with the plastic holster. Some of the Kydex holsters are lined to protect the finish,but I haven't used one. I prefer leather although I recently purchased a DeSantis paddle holster in Kydex and I really like it.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 6/9/01 10:24:14 am

bondai
    (6/18/01 12:22:39 pm)
    Since I live in Arizona and since its about 500 degrees all the time its easy to carry concealed. It is mostly shirt tails out most of the time anyway. It's easy to get a CCW here. Takes 16 hours of instruction, paperwork and finger print cards and pay about $125.00 plus or minus. $50.00 goes to the state. The instructors usually do all the fingerprinting and help with the paperwork. You have to qualify on the second day of training, lots of fun. I carry a Springfield V10 Ultra Compact in SS. I have a K-brand belt slide/cocked and locked. Best holster I ever had,picked it up at a gun show from a big box of stuff, paid $18.00. I had a Galco beltslide but it was preformed and hard as a rock, never could get used to it.

berto64
    (6/30/01 1:27:12 pm)
    I carry my 1911 in a lefthanded Galco inside the belt clipon
    that I've moved to the small of my back for easier access with my right hand, for a backup, I carry a P-11 in a front
    pocket. All 4 of my 1911's carry that way very well(once you get used to it)............Berto64
    What! Trade my m-14 for that plastic piece of ---t!

polishshooter
    (7/1/01 6:21:31 pm)
    Berto, you must have some BIG pockets!!!

When I try to carry my Makarov in my front pocket, the outline is VERY clear. Anybody looking at it would say, "What kind of gun is in your pocket?"

I can't IMAGINE carrying my 1911 in my pocket, heck I'm not sure I could even GET to it if I had to...

You REALLY carry a 1911 in your front pocket? Wow...

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase ending with "...or are you just happy to see me?" LOL

berto64
    (7/26/01 10:15:52 pm)
    Shooter,
    I carry a Kel-Tech P-11, in my pocket, not a 1911.
    My pants aren't big enough for pockets that large!lol
    Berto

TallTLynn
    (7/26/01 11:30:54 pm)
    Damn berto - I sure didn't see it so I guess you hide it well (lololol)!

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/27/01 9:12:35 am)
    I carry mine in a Uncle Mikes range bag..
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  2. garrett pryor

garrett pryor New Member

MItch Rosen Holsters
  3. general

general New Member

Good afternoon everyone, Say I carry my Colt 1911 in a high rise belt holster made by Mernickle Holster near Reno NV. Check them out, very reasonable and their site has everything. They are family owned and operated and do a wonderful job all hand made, you won't be dissapointed in their product. I've been carrying mine here at work undetected for quite sometime.

Gotta love the 1911

general
  4. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

When I get my permit in the mail... (I just mailed my application today!) I will be carrying my Kimber Custom II in a Comp-Tac Infidel....

I have been carrying around the house and stuff like that. The holster is surprisingly comfortable for a kydex and in South Louisiana kydex is a good idea for IWB...
  5. patrol

patrol New Member

I carry all my firearms in the Desantis Prostealt balistic nylon holsters IWB. The Procarry or Commander models actually feel better to me then my officer size ultra carry even though it's smaller.
  6. redbrd

redbrd New Member

I use a comp-tac infidel IWB holster for CCW normally. But I am a big fan of the CQB holsters for belt carry too. I use the CQB for compititions and a Serpa rig on my tactical gear mounted across the chest.

I live in Tennessee and they are reasonable to get a CCW. It took longer tha I wanted initially but they have to do thier due diligence I guess. It is fairly inexpensive all said it cost like 30 bucks for the class and another 100 or so for the license. That was several years ago though.
  7. Tripple_Cr0wn

Tripple_Cr0wn New Member

I carry IWB with a blackhawk size 0 "cocked and locked" :D

still exploring other holster options as well.

In Florida CCW is easy to get as long as you pass background check 4hr course, trip to the range pop off a round, your good to go. Send all required documentation figerprints/picture ect..ect.... Mine took about 30 days to receive once I completed the course.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  8. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Interesting that we still have no "one size fits all" fix for carrying concealed.
    Here in Az with our extreme heat just as with some of you in Georgia and Fl who have the humidity and heat to deal with, what and how we carry may have some drastic affect on the gun we carry.
    I carry in a leather inside the pants Don Hume holster in winter and change to kydex in the summer due to sweating through on my gun in the leather. I mean the gun will be covered with sweat and have to be wiped off several times a day. I also have to clean and lube it accordingly. When I carry in the kydex, I do not sweat through on the gun.
    I carry almost exclusivley inside the pants now and if I have occassion to use anything other, it is usually my Galco fanny Pack.

Do, or have any of you experienced the same thing when weather changes occur in your area or so you stick with a particular holster year around?

[​IMG]

UF
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I carry a colt defender 1911 and use a don hume leather belt holster. Keeps it high and close. I wear button up shirts with tails and wear them out always. I have had my concealed permit since the mid 80s.