The Firearms Forum banner

Carry option for a knife

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  sportour 
#1 ·
I've seen many threads and discussions in the firearm sections of this forum discussing the 'best' carry option. But to my knowledge, no one has asked 'Where do you carry your blade'? I am referring to a folding knife.

I carry mine in one of two places..If I am in dress clothes, I carry a Spyderco Navigator in my right front pocket. If not in dress clothes, I carry either a Syderco Centofante III or SOG Spec-Elite clipped to the inside of my front pocket.

#2 ·
I have two, a Kershaw assisted opening that I keep in my left pocket and a Gerber folder in my right pocket.

If I carry a hunting knife I will have it on my belt towards the back horizontally.

#3 ·
Well as a run down of what I wore this weekend while caribou hunting;
-Swiss Army "Driver" in jacket pocket
-Swiss Army single blade in other jacket pocket
-Schrade large Cliphanger clipped to front, right belt loop
-Frosts Mora taped upside down on ruksack strap on left chest
-Frosts Mora in right boot
-Ka-Bar fighting/utility knife on right hip
-Hatchet, one piece steel with rubber grip strapped to the top of the ruk'
-Leatherman Crunch in Maglite belt kit that holds a multi-tool and Mini-Mag on my belt
-Mini-Buck in front pocket of my jeans

Some people say I carry "too many knives", I say "is there such thing while hunting?"

Everyday carry is the Swiss Army driver in a pocket and the Cliphanger depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

#6 ·
The Buck 442 in the right front pants pocket, no matter what I'm wearing or doing, in my suit at church, in my khakis at work, in my shorts when I'm golfing, in my coveralls when hunting.....

But Bunny makes me feel better...I've been told I carry too many knives and edged thingies when I hunt too, but compared to him I'm almost unarmed!:p

The Buck in the pocket, a Western Drop Blade in a replacement sheath that holds a Small arkansas stone on my right hip immediately in front of my Buck Nighthawk, on either my web belt or my leather overbelt I made, with the Tomahawk with a leather blade guard stuck in my left side under the belt....but that's ALL (except of course the custom patch knife on my Possibles bag strap if I'm hunting with the flintlock...)

#9 ·
No, PS, like the British (and their war loving cousins, the Hessians...) found to their detriment, a 'hawk, whether in a red hand or a white hand, trumps a sword any day of the week...:cool:

And with a good 'hawk, you don't need the shovel either, lohki. I've dug small holes with it in the woods when I needed to, or else you use it to carve a nice wooden sspade out of a sapling in a minute or two, temper it in the campfire, then use IT to dig your latrine....:p

Reactions: gunnut1215
G
#10 ·
No, PS, like the British (and their war loving cousins, the Hessians...) found to their detriment, a 'hawk, whether in a red hand or a white hand, trumps a sword any day of the week...:cool:

And with a good 'hawk, you don't need the shovel either, lohki. I've dug small holes with it in the woods when I needed to, or else you use it to carve a nice wooden sspade out of a sapling in a minute or two, temper it in the campfire, then use IT to dig your latrine....:p
Polish, I must take back what I said about you on another thread, that you think anachronistically sometimes. I'm beginning to think you ARE and anachronism! :D;):p

#11 ·
If Im carrying my jframe in my right front pocket then I'll carry a knife in my left pocket like I do at work. The knife Ive been carrying the most lately is one I switched the clip around so I can open it with my left hand as it exits my pocket without the need for flippers or studs to munipulate. I just dragg it out of my left pocket with my left hand and the tang grabs the pocket and opens up as it comes out. In my line of work Ive found this to be very effective at getting your nonshooting hand on a blade quickly. Lately it's been a Cold Steel AK47with the G10 handle. I need to switch the pocket clip on my emerson so i can keep it in my left pocket too.

#12 ·
Patrol, it makes sense to have a knife ready for your NON gun hand, but I'm missing an important digit to OPEN one on that hand, so I have to take my chance on my right...plus I'm pretty good at the "switch" to weak hand be it gun or knife, so I guess that will have to do...:cool:

#13 · (Edited)
I carry a Kershaw assisted-open clipped to my front right pocket 95% of the time. This started out simply for the practicality of having the tool handy for non-defense purposes, though I found the value of it last spring when a couple young punks thought my girlfriend and I would be easy pickings in a state park one night... the sound of that blade locking open is unmistakable (sounds just like a switchblade), and they quickly changed their minds about talking to us.

#17 ·
Grew up farming/ranching in TX Panhandle and knives were part of the 'dress code' even as a kid. I have over 200 knives - from German boot knife to small Swiss Army. Some unique! Always carry - except when flying when they are in my checked bag! - small Buck Stockman, Schrade medium Stockman or, favorite, Moore (Matador) medium Stockman. The latter are worth looking at: http://catalog.mooremaker.com Some interesting stuff.

Hunting, my old Buck 110.

Guided in British Columbia a few years. The 110 was my workhorse and carried a smaller stockman to do the finer skinning work. Never had a lot of use for a belt knife hunting though use a small case fishing belt knife on trout. Had hunters show up with "survival and Griz fighting" knives. RIGHT!!! :D:D:D Told them I'd watch with my 350 REM Mag and jump in when they called ROPE! or UNCLE!.

Small ax - not a hatchet - around camp. Useful for moose work, too.

Be careful as Buck and Schrade and lots of other brands (Remington, Winchester, ... ) are selling China made junkers under their name!!! :eek: So, these are proving to be poor at holding edge for me though they look okay. Recently received a China Schrade 'red bone' from which the red washed off onto my hands!! Laugh or cry??

#19 ·
Carry a kershaw assisted-opener in right front pocket. If fixed blade needed(wanted!) I always find myself reaching for one of my Bob Doziers in D2 steel. The man makes a reasonably priced, tough-as-nails custom that will carve up critters all day and stay hair-popping sharp with a quick strop on the belt. He also makes the best kydex sheath in any carry position you want. I have 3 now, with one on order, all with horizontal belt sheaths.

Chris

#21 ·
i carry a smith and wesson special opps switchblade all i need is one hand to open and it opens fast
I have a S&W S.W.A.T., for an inexpensive knife it is well made as sturdy as hell. I did a motorcycle tour a few years back that took me into some high country in Montana. Arrived in a campground late in the evening and had to get a fire going as we were at 6000 feet and it was getting real cold. I was able to pry some pitchbark off a pine with that nice thick blade and get a good fire going in spite of a chilling mist soaking everything. The SWAT has a very sturdy clip and I carry it in whatever boots I wear when I tour..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.