Carry option for a knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by martbo, Oct 8, 2007.

1. nephilim

nephilim New Member

camping josh - please elaborate! what happened?

i carry a kershaw as well ... and i camp with my girlfriend at state parks very often ...
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

Grew up farming/ranching in TX Panhandle and knives were part of the 'dress code' even as a kid. I have over 200 knives - from German boot knife to small Swiss Army. Some unique! Always carry - except when flying when they are in my checked bag! - small Buck Stockman, Schrade medium Stockman or, favorite, Moore (Matador) medium Stockman. The latter are worth looking at: http://catalog.mooremaker.com Some interesting stuff.

Hunting, my old Buck 110.

Guided in British Columbia a few years. The 110 was my workhorse and carried a smaller stockman to do the finer skinning work. Never had a lot of use for a belt knife hunting though use a small case fishing belt knife on trout. Had hunters show up with "survival and Griz fighting" knives. RIGHT!!! :D:D:D Told them I'd watch with my 350 REM Mag and jump in when they called ROPE! or UNCLE!.

Small ax - not a hatchet - around camp. Useful for moose work, too.

Be careful as Buck and Schrade and lots of other brands (Remington, Winchester, ... ) are selling China made junkers under their name!!! :eek: So, these are proving to be poor at holding edge for me though they look okay. Recently received a China Schrade 'red bone' from which the red washed off onto my hands!! Laugh or cry??
  3. RMT

RMT New Member

Front right pocket
  4. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Carry a kershaw assisted-opener in right front pocket. If fixed blade needed(wanted!) I always find myself reaching for one of my Bob Doziers in D2 steel. The man makes a reasonably priced, tough-as-nails custom that will carve up critters all day and stay hair-popping sharp with a quick strop on the belt. He also makes the best kydex sheath in any carry position you want. I have 3 now, with one on order, all with horizontal belt sheaths.

Chris
  5. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i carry a smith and wesson special opps switchblade all i need is one hand to open and it opens fast
  6. sportour

sportour New Member

I have a S&W S.W.A.T., for an inexpensive knife it is well made as sturdy as hell. I did a motorcycle tour a few years back that took me into some high country in Montana. Arrived in a campground late in the evening and had to get a fire going as we were at 6000 feet and it was getting real cold. I was able to pry some pitchbark off a pine with that nice thick blade and get a good fire going in spite of a chilling mist soaking everything. The SWAT has a very sturdy clip and I carry it in whatever boots I wear when I tour..