Carry option for a knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by martbo, Oct 8, 2007.

1. nephilim

nephilim New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    camping josh - please elaborate! what happened?

i carry a kershaw as well ... and i camp with my girlfriend at state parks very often ...

2. williamd

williamd New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    SoCal
    Grew up farming/ranching in TX Panhandle and knives were part of the 'dress code' even as a kid. I have over 200 knives - from German boot knife to small Swiss Army. Some unique! Always carry - except when flying when they are in my checked bag! - small Buck Stockman, Schrade medium Stockman or, favorite, Moore (Matador) medium Stockman. The latter are worth looking at: http://catalog.mooremaker.com Some interesting stuff.

Hunting, my old Buck 110.

Guided in British Columbia a few years. The 110 was my workhorse and carried a smaller stockman to do the finer skinning work. Never had a lot of use for a belt knife hunting though use a small case fishing belt knife on trout. Had hunters show up with "survival and Griz fighting" knives. RIGHT!!! :D:D:D Told them I'd watch with my 350 REM Mag and jump in when they called ROPE! or UNCLE!.

Small ax - not a hatchet - around camp. Useful for moose work, too.

Be careful as Buck and Schrade and lots of other brands (Remington, Winchester, ... ) are selling China made junkers under their name!!! :eek: So, these are proving to be poor at holding edge for me though they look okay. Recently received a China Schrade 'red bone' from which the red washed off onto my hands!! Laugh or cry??

3. RMT

RMT New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Front right pocket

4. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    SW Iowa
    Carry a kershaw assisted-opener in right front pocket. If fixed blade needed(wanted!) I always find myself reaching for one of my Bob Doziers in D2 steel. The man makes a reasonably priced, tough-as-nails custom that will carve up critters all day and stay hair-popping sharp with a quick strop on the belt. He also makes the best kydex sheath in any carry position you want. I have 3 now, with one on order, all with horizontal belt sheaths.

Chris

5. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i carry a smith and wesson special opps switchblade all i need is one hand to open and it opens fast

6. sportour

sportour New Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Portland Orygun
    I have a S&W S.W.A.T., for an inexpensive knife it is well made as sturdy as hell. I did a motorcycle tour a few years back that took me into some high country in Montana. Arrived in a campground late in the evening and had to get a fire going as we were at 6000 feet and it was getting real cold. I was able to pry some pitchbark off a pine with that nice thick blade and get a good fire going in spite of a chilling mist soaking everything. The SWAT has a very sturdy clip and I carry it in whatever boots I wear when I tour..

gunnut1215 likes this.