Carry Options For Smith 642

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 20, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

heres the situation.

sometimes i open carry my 642 on my right hip cause it's so light... sometimes i IWB carry it if im trying to conceal.

but whenever i carry my full size pistol thats of course where i carry it. so what do i do with my 38?

when i got the 642 it was going to be my backup whenever i carried larger and my first whenever i didnt. so i'm looking for suggestions as to how to carry it when it's the backup.

im considering a small of the back holster from a reputable brand. i think that it would be out of the way and comfortable there.

ankle holster is out of the question because i normally wear cowboy boots.

so throw me some ideas. if anyone has a SOB holster for sale i might be interested.

~john
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have an SP101 and in warm weather I pocket carry and in cooler weather with a covering sweatshirt I belt carry. Simply Rugged makes excellent holsters at very reasonable prices and that is pretty much what I use. For pocket carry their "pocket protector" and a belt carry their "silver dollar pancake". If I'm riding in a vehicle for a long distance then I might use a Ken Null "Vampire" as it is positions the firearm parallel to the ground on the belt.

I'm retired and a snowbird so I try to be in shorts at least 8 to 9 months of the year. I found a great pair of shorts at a Gander Mountain in Richmond by Colombia that has a zippered pocket beside the regular right front pocket and that is perfect for pocket carrying.
  3. kda

kda New Member

I pocket carry also. So light you forget it is there. Doesn't interfere with driving or any normal body positions / movement.
  4. johnlives4christ

well in one pocket i have an naa, a pocket knife and keys, and in the other pocket i could carry i guess, i haven't really tried pocket carry except for the gun and no holster, and it wasn't too comfortable. it was okay in jeans, but for pants isn't
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

johnlives4christ,

I carry a J Frame back as up to my 1911. My preferred holster for the J frame in BU mode is a Mika's pocket holster. The Mika's works well in your front or back pocket. The great thing with the Mika's is that it never comes out of your pocket when the gun is drawn.

Mika's web site: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

A few pics for consideration.

Regards,

techoca

Attached Files:

6. johnlives4christ

i think im going to end up getting me some sort of pocket holster. anyone got any other suggestions for which one? i want to see all my options.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

John, I carried with an Uncle Mike's for a long time. It finally started to stink (like old tennis shoes), from absorbing sweat from my leg through my pocket. I wrote Uncle Mike's and asked if it could be washed. They said it would probably fall apart in the machine.

I use a Mika's, now. Onliest problem is, he has gotten popular. They are all made by hand, there is just him doing it (no big shop or assistants) and the wait is purty long. Ordered it January 14, 2009. It arrived May 20.
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have a leather lanyard on mine and I carry it in my left pocket though I am right handed. I can get to it very quickly except when sitting down, other than that it works well. It doesn't help the finish especially when you forget and dump a hand full of keys on it. If I go to the trouble of a holster I carry a full sized 1911. Also a full sized one will carry better for me than a compact especially if I just stick it in my waist band without a holster.

Ron
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Get a clip on IWB holster. If you are right handed get the left hand model, clip into the left boot. On another forum the guy using this system also bought a soft peice of leather, and cut it to fit down between the gun and his leg so it wouldn't rub against the bone. Galco also sells one that is velcro, and fits around the outside of the boot. Gun in holster, pants leg covering gun, and holster.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I started with the pocket holster for two reasons. I go to Georgia, occasionally, and they require a holster. Weird:rolleyes:. Also, without the holster, the muzzle wears a hole in my pocket.
  11. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

I carry a J frame in either a Galco pocket holster (works great in large pockets)
    or a Kramer pocket holster (better for smaller pockets). Have also used the
    Barami hip grip for inside waist band (very secure with a tight belt).

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/
  12. johnlives4christ

carver, i have thought about doing just that. but there isnt much room inside my boot with my fat calf. i've thought about doing just that though with my naa mini.

i've heard kramer was good leather and would like to try it
  13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Please guys-never put ANYTHING in a pocket with a gun.
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've pocket carried my wife's 642 on certain occasions when I'm wearing loose fitting cargo shorts. That's the ONLY, and I repeat ONLY time that it will fit in my pockets in a concealed fashion. With jean pockets the 642 grip butt protrudes and that hardly makes it concealable. The 642 in my opinion is only an IWB (or purse for my wife) gun. Unless you're a gargantuan person you're not going to hide the 642 in your pocket with even the best pocket holster in jeans or dress pants. It ain't gonna happen as a pocket carry gun... If one thinks theirs is hidden then they're fooling themselves. I hope that the respective state doesn't have "brandishing" laws. :eek:
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  15. johnlives4christ

in kentucky there is no laws saying i have to "conceal". in fact i can legally open carry and do on occasion. depending on where i am going.