Carry Options For Smith 642

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 20, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

ponycar, i reckon since im 6'5 and 300+ pounds i can hide it a tad better. but i am leaning more towards getting a sweet belt holster. i seen one in the dillion book that would let me carry strong side, or crossdraw for the times i need to carry a primary and a backup.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can see mine. Whatever I am wearing, jeans, slacks or shorts, I wonder HOW other people don't see it. I look down at my pocket, and see the gun. I look in a mirror and see the gun.

I've asked other people, who know I carry a gun. They say no. I say, "It's right there", and point to it. They still say no.
  3. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

They don't "see" it because they're not conditioned to "look" for such things. An officer would see it, or a trained security person. A criminal might too.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's kinda the point. I don't care if a cop sees it. I'm legal. Florida law says it must be concealed from >the ordinary sight of another person. < That's Joe Public I'm hidin' it from.

It's like with the fanny packs. That's "concealed", by definition, but every time I see one, I think, "GUN". I suppose all cops do, too. Maybe many crooks.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yeah, that was my point. It definitely won't work for everyone. A lot of people believe that it will and place themselves in a potentially bad spot. :)

In SC you risk being arrested for 'brandishing' if you're spotted with a printing 'concealed weapon'. It's stupid but it's the law and I try to watch out for 'exposing my weapon' for lack of a better phrase... :D
  6. johnlives4christ

im glad the laws arent that strict in kentucky
  7. johnlives4christ

im thinking now i want to try a crossdraw rig worn at the 7 o-clock position, drawn wild bill style.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nah, just stick it in your drawers next to the danglies and when you need it just pretend to scratch:D
  9. johnlives4christ

lol, they might think i'm reaching for my cannon
  10. johnlives4christ

anyone have a cross draw holster that will fit the 642, no thumb strap prefered, that they want to donate to me? i prefer black, but will take whatever
  11. Old John

Old John New Member

I have a Ruger .38 special LCR. I carry it in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
    It works just fine in my Wrangler jeans or my Dockers. I'm 6' tall & weigh 225#'s.
    I'm not huge. You can't tell it is a gun, in my pocket. I can tuck my shirts and it is still concealed.
    I also have a "Simply Rugged" silver-dollar pancake holster, I use for belt carry. But generally if it's belt carry It's my Ruger SP101 .357 in a Galco high ride pancake holster. In order to conceal it I wear my shirt tail untucked.
  12. johnlives4christ

i am unsure exactly how i want to carry my 38. when i carry it as my primary i would like a strong side belt holster. but i think for backup i would like a cross draw holster worn at the 8oclock position with the gun being drawn wild bill style

sometimes i carry an naa mini in the pocket, but in general i have all kinds of stuff in my pockets, too much to carry a gun comfortably