Carry Preference

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by wildgunner, Aug 19, 2009.

?

Which do you think is carried more.

Poll closed Aug 27, 2009.
  1. 1911 Platform

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. other/Glock XD's etc.

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wildgunner

wildgunner New Member

Just for fun and info what do you think is carried more by the common citizen?

1911 platform or other like glock XD's etc?:D

Elaborate on your opinion!
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I think the price of the 1911 platform puts it out of reach for many people to have as a carry gun. But thats just my thinking.
  3. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I personally carry the XD. I like the 1911 for target shooting, but the overall size of most of them, the limited capacity, and the whole "cocked and locked" thing (I am not a fan of). With my XD all those concerns are well addressed. I carry the 9mm subcompact, I wouldn't trade it for a 1911 to carry ever.
  4. wildgunner

wildgunner New Member

You got me curious why would you never carry a 1911?
    OOPs sorry I guess I should have read your post closer.
    You did kinda said why.
  5. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

ya, I just don't like the idea of cocked and locked. Plus most of them are to big to conceal properly. and the lack of capacity.
  6. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I carry a 1911. I enjoy condition I and have carried as such from 1978. However, most people carry a more affordable Tupperware weapon.
  7. wildgunner

wildgunner New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what do you carry?
    I carry will be carrying a Springer ARTRP and at times a S&W 1911. I have a kimber but have not carried that yet. I have been carrying for many many years also but just come to my senses and got into 1911's a few years back.
  8. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

It sounds like you have two excellent weapons. With the right holster either should be great for carry. Presently, I carry a Nighhawk Custom T-3:

[​IMG]
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I prefer my RIA but it stays in the truck mostly. If I had a Commander or Officer's I'd never carry anything else.

As far as capacity goes, I'd rather have 7 .45" projectiles that are known to put a man down, than 16 .38 projectiles with not so much stopping power. I always carry extra mags so with my .45 I have 25 rounds plus 15 9mm's as back up.

As it is, until I can get an Officer's ACP I will continue to carry my .40.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Tupperware Weapon....

Ya know it just occured to me that these insults they hurl at us polymer fans are similar to the kind of insults that are hurled between the Marines, Army, and Air Force... So... i think i will take it as a compliment and say Thank You to all those fans of the obsolete dinosaur known as the 1911... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would think more people carry the 1911 than the glock or xd. my thinking is that more people whom just have a gun for self protection have glocks/xds, but anyone that is serious about protecting their life enough to get a license probably sees the benefit of a 45. as far as price goes. its like the differance between a chevy s10 and a chevy 2500 3/4 ton truck. both will haul junk, but anyone that is serious would see that they might need that little extra to "get the job done", and price would be negated.

if someone asked me what gun would you most want to have if you were in a gunfight? and i knew not any of the other facts, i would want a 45 caliber 1911. while a glock is a fine weapon, there's no doubt. its my personal opinion that a good 1911 is a better weapon.

some people say the design is old or obsolete. it is old, but if it was obsolete it wouldnt continue to be the standard by which others are judged, produced by more companies, copied by more companies than any other weapon. let me give a few examples of guns, pistols that are obsolete for self defence. luger, broom handle mauser, colt single action army, colt police positive, walther p 38, just to name a few. now these are good guns, but they are no longer viable defencive guns. will they kill you, yes. very very dead. but are they obsolete? for self defence yes. not to say you cannot use an obsolete gun for such a purpose though.

another good example is the bolt action rifle. lets say a mauser 98. the mauser is not obsolete in the field of bolt action hunting/LEO weapons. but the krag jorgenson rifle is. why? why not the lee enfield or the smle rifle? the reason is that although the mauser98 is just as old as these others (realivily speaking) the design continues to surpass others that come after it. the remington 700 obviously is a good gun, and they compete for dominance. to say that a gun that is 100 years old competes with anything more modern is to say something about the design of that gun. and thats what you have to say about the 1911. it's old, but by golly it still holds a heckova spot in the self defence pistol market, no matter what new gun they come up with, the 1911 still sells and sells very well.

if the 1911 wasn't an excellent weapons platform, why then would young shooters embrass it and swear by it? why not just the old timers? why would someone like glocknut whom loves his glocks, actually like and own several 1911s? the guns i mentioned as obsolete, who owns one and uses it for self defence? not many. they are now relegated to one of two categories, one, collecting. two, enjoyment of shooting. i can think of noone that when asked what gun they want most for self defence says, a luger!, a broomhandle!, a single action!

i must end this firearms related rant on a note however, that while glocks and xd's are good weapons and while they are very popular. there must be a reason that the 1911 has been and is continueing to be a viable self defence option. why the 1911 is normally a professional soldier or police officers choice of weapon. the reason is that even though the design is old as the hills it continues to lead the way in self defence pistolry, in that it is the closest thing to perfect any pistolsmith has ever made. glocks say they are perfect. not true, they lack something. while they might perform better under some circumstances, while they may last longer without maintenance, they will never have a place in a mans heart. not the way a 1911 does. a glock is a tool, a good tool. and if i had to equip some friends for a big fight, i would given them glocks. but a 1911 is more than a tool, it becomes as much a friend as a mans dog, and it becomes as natural as his own hand, like that old pair of boots you just cant throw away. oh no, if a 1911 was just an antique, just a gun of days past, people wouldnt compair them to others. there would be no argument. but since the 1911 is still the best, and at the forefront of the self defence market, i dont see why anyone could say it is obsolete.

so do i think more people carry the 1911, my answer is complicated. for the people that know their stuff and love a finely crafted gun, yes. for the people that just want a tool to shoot bad guys with, probably not.

so what type of gun owner are you?

~john
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Probably without doubt there are more Glocks and XD/XDm carried than any other platform for personal protection. They are both excellent weapons and are relatively inexpensive to own.

Personally I carry a Colt Commander most of the time but I often get the urge to go Glock and when I do I have no concerns about the weapon or my ability to deploy it if need be.
  13. wildgunner

wildgunner New Member

very very nice!:D
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here we go again!:D I said 1911. I have to agree with johnlives4christ. Lets take a look at bullets, what do you carry in your SD handgun? I'm sure that you carry ammo that is proven to get the job done, as I do. Now there's some fine tricked out ammo out there, but how does it really perform? We don't really know, so we stick to what we know will work, and work best. Now what could work better than a 230gr. Hydro Shock? That's why I carry a 1911A, cocked and locked, with 8 rd. mags. Two back up mags give me a total of 25 rds. At home there are several 20 rd. mags laying around, if I ever need them.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My carry gun was a Sig P6 until I sold it on Monday, now I carry a Taurus 1911. Even though I carry the 1911, I voted for other because I truly think that a full size 1911 is just too big and heavy to be carried every day.