Carry Preference

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by wildgunner, Aug 19, 2009.

?

Which do you think is carried more.

Poll closed Aug 27, 2009.
  1. 1911 Platform

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. other/Glock XD's etc.

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You would be surprised at what you see me wearing, and what I'm carring! I carry a 1911, I have other choices, but I carry my 1911, everyday I leave my home. I almost never wear jeans (winter time only), shorts and a T shirt of some kind, and yet I still carry my 1911. I don't find to big and heavy at all!
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I would always go with the 1911. As for being too heavy, one of my regulars was a Colt Commander in 9mm with an ally frame.

I have a few reasons, but the main two are a manual safety, which I can control and a visible hammer that I can see or feel. Neither of these feature on Glocks and their clones.

That Commander was one near perfect firearm, totally reliable and accurate. Novak sights and a couple of tweeks you dont read about in the gun mags. Yes, I know 9mm is not great, but it is enough and way more available outside the States than .45acp.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Cause it was even more embarrassing without a caliber to blame.:D:D:D
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'll agree with that. The .40 S&W round didn't seem to help either. Maybe they need more range time and a LOT of instruction.:)
  5. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

In the police academy we studied the FBI shootout. It actually was completly re-inacted... The FBI was out-gunned. However, their main reason for losing that day was their tactics. They took a defensive stature as opposed to their military trained assailants who took a more agressive approach. The FBI changed their tactics since... You can read it here.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is my opinion, maybe not everyone's opinion, but mine that my 1911 is a little heavy to carry every day. But opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one!
  7. asmotj

asmotj New Member

Hi All my first post...:)

A good one...
    As a Gun Owner :eek: advocate :cool: and prior military :D
    I am not a common citizen... I am a fair and balanced citizen ;) with equal rights and an equalizer that allows me leverage...

I only carry 1911 my wife Sig P220/Beretta92f my son Sig P220/Glock?? .40cal

I also assume you might also mean concealed? then it depends but I always carry 1911 but I have a few boot guns not 1911 platform but small and powerful

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  8. delta13soultaker

I'm not going to try and figure out what they need...I'd probably bite my foot.

I have had productive shared training with some of them. If we hustle facilities, they are happy to give us instruction on evidence exploitation, proper evidence handling (a terrorist is a walking crime scene) and share their resources concerning almost anything. We share too; anything from short-long range marksmanship, breaching structures, convoy protection, room clearing etc. They are one of several agencies that benefits mutually with occasional shared training cooperation, in my humble opinion.

Being fair about it, their close quarters marksmanship techniques and training methods are nothing to snicker at. I know some guys that warmed up to it pretty quick. I know I took some some ideas away from their method. Also, they can't be faulted for the amount of and quality of the training they provide their people, keeping in mind their primary purpose....once again, it's nothing to snicker about either.

From the outside looking in, I'd say they're a victim of the same problems all law enforcement agencies are: they're not a dedicated fighting force, but they have their share of fights. Sometimes they are going to get gotten. The usual answer is to apply a technological solution (bigger bullets in their case) instead of asking tactical questions.

You said it though. More range time and proper instruction.
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I'm just busting your chops a little.

The pistol I carry most often is a PPK in .380 and the 9mm is certainly not inferior to that. I certainly prefer a .45 ACP to both of them but when the weather is makes extra clothing uninviting and comfort is an issue, better to have a minor caliber that you can use well than no gun at all.
  10. delta13soultaker

Yeah. No escaping the PPK/s for me either. I didn't even send it back for recall; just changed how I decock it. If that says much.
  11. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Mine is an old Interarms that I've had for over 20 years. I bought it at a gun show and had to choose hard between it and a Johnson rifle; considering the price of Johnsons these days I lost. Oh well...

One of my next additions is going to be a compact 1911...
  12. delta13soultaker

I've been procrastinating on that too, a compact.
  13. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I have been through this for the past two years and I have settled on three carry guns depending on what I'm wearing. If it's hot and I have on a tee shirt and shorts I carry a S&W Model 36 5 shot 38 in my shorts pocket. If I have on jeans and a button up shirt I either carry a Sig P239 in 40 SW or a Sig P220 Carry SAO and both are in a OWB holster.

I could carry anything including a 1911 but these are my choices.:D
  14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

These days it is a SIG 239-40. Just had nite sights put on and it is working well for me.