Carry Revolver?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slimslam, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I am taking the CCW (CPL in Michigan) class in Feb. Currently, I own a S & W Model 586 w/ 8 3/8" bbl. I am interested in carrying a revolver to start. Help me narrow my choices down to a couple of models, including maximum barrel length, hammer/hammerless, etc... thanks
    SS
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

That 's a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg barrel for a carry revolver. I would never carry a revolver with a barrel longer than 2 1/2". Several Smiths will fill your need. Also check out the Ruger SP-101 or GP-100.

When I must carry a revolver, it's an old Colt Cobra.
  3. merc

merc New Member

there are just too many fine revolvers out there to suggest just one.
    So I will tell you about mine.
    I have a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special.
    It is a pretty good compromise.
    Plenty of power--no frills--and light
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'll stick with my Smith Model 60. Use it, still, as a back-up. Regular carry either a Browning Hi-Power or a 1911.
  5. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

I've been carrying a S&W model 60 for years, for a back-up and/or depending on the conditions, a shoulder holster with 2 speed loaders, belt holster or mostly ankle holster.
    No one will ever know you have it with you. :)
  6. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Carry...

Thanks for the replies everyone...incidentally shooter45, I never intended to carry the model 586 with the 8" bbl. I just mentioned that this is what I currently own (for target shooting and/or home defense), as I do not have my CCW yet. (Well, I know what yer thinkin'...)

I understand that it will be at least a six month wait before I'm issued my license to carry.

I'm leaning toward a .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. What is the best finish in a revolver to carry? Stainless? Blue? Nickel?
    Appreciate the advice..
    SS
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If you do as I, Slim, that is carry on the ankle like Ziggy, stainless is a must since the salt will do terrible things to blueing. I did terrible things to an early 2" Chief's Special back in the 60s before I realized that.
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I use the 357 SP-101 stainless 2 1/2 bbl.
    Why 6 months?
  9. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I agree that there's just too many choices in this category to narrow it down w/o checking them them personally. see what fits you best. And don't skimp the the holster either!
    That said, I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum with a 2 1/4" bbl w/ a hammer. I gets carried in a Mitch Rosen "Workman" holster on a Rosen belt. Great combo for me.
  10. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Thanks for the suggestions!
    pickenup: I live in Wayne County (Detroit area). They are slow in processing permits, I guess. ("bureaucracy", no doubt).
    ss
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Slim, I knew you didn't plain on carrying that long barreled revolver. Just my attempt at humor.
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

J Frame Smith on an ankle rig by Ken Null. Has hammer, but its been bobbed off - best of both worlds to me. Also does duty in a pocket holster by Kramer. Two speed strips for reloads. No, not as fast as HKS speed loaders - I have those too - but the speed strips are much easier to conceal. Just one guy's 0.02
  13. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Oh, forgot about the other question - its a Ti model, Al frame. No issues with rust and such. I like the look of blued - but appreciate the durability of other metals. One tactical consideration - Blued doesn't flash like stainless. If you go stainless, you might consider a matte or beadblasted finish. I really wish Ruger would make a 101 with that "Target Grey" finish.
  14. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Living in the northern part of the country, and assuming you normally wear a coat except for the couple of months it's actually hot out, I'd think a 4" wheel gun wouldn't be too hard to hide. But a 3" would probably be better.
  15. Woodman

Woodman New Member

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=9

These are the Rugers the guys are talking about. I have a '101 (KSP-321XL) with the bob'd hammer and 2.25" barrel waiting to DROS; I hear guys say they would prefer the 3", but some swear by the 2.25".

I still can't figure out how one would carry a .45 and dress "slim", so I stick with something small that's really accurate.