Carry Revolver?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slimslam, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Great advice and suggestions! Hey shooter45, I suppose in the winter I could carry my 8 inch, .357 concealed....(hehehe..).

Now, some are carryin' with a hammer...what are the pros & cons of hammer and no hammer? SS
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Well, there's lots of differing opinions on that. First, there are "hammerless" revolvers, like the S&W Centinneal (sp?) which have the hammer completely encased. These offer no option of a single action shot, but are absolutely snagless. Easy to draw from a pocket or other deep concealment.

Then there are the bobbed hammers, like the Rugers. They are real snagless too, but offer a way to go single action by pulling the trigger a bit, catching the hammer with your thumb and finishing the single action cock that way. I created this same set up with my Smith by lopping off the thump rest on the hammer and checkering the very top of the spur for a more postivie grip for thumb cocking.

It just depends on if you think the single action need is important. Oh, the completely encased versions also offer a bit more resistance to crud getting in the action when carried in lint filled pockets or jackets.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*