carry ?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by s+w1911, Jan 4, 2008.

1. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

For those of you with many many years of carrying, do you find that keeping Your mags loaded all of the time weakens the springs causing a feed issue?

Does keeping it cocked and locked require any hammer maintence? (weaken any components)

How often do you change your carry ammo?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have heard stories of mags being loaded in WW II , stored, then fired many years later.

I have had a mag loaded for over seven years. In three more years, I'll test for function. I don't think good mag springs will take a "set".

The hammer on my carry weapon is always cocked and locked except when unloaded for cleaning. No problems with hammer spring.

After cleaning, I replace with another loaded mag so yes, my ammo is rotated but never removed from the mag.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Never had an issue with springs (at least with that gun) and I carry hammer down. SIG. ;)

As for ammo, I shoot that gun at least once a month, in an IDPA match. (weather permitting)
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

Being loaded will not cause any damage to a properly maintained magazine spring. A mag spring compressed to it's design specs will not take a set as long as the spring is not allowed to rust, or is otherwise damaged. The weakening of a mag spring comes from use, not static tension. ;)
  5. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Thanks guys.
  6. Silverfoxsequim

Silverfoxsequim New Member

I've always wondered about that too. Thanks for asking the question for me.
  7. The key, as others have suggested, is to use only high-quality mags, never the cheapos. I've never had a problem with magazine springs taking a set, and I keep several of my auto pistols loaded at all times.

I change out my carry ammo at least every two months, more often if I have any reason to think it has been exposed to adverse conditions, like moisture for example. I then shoot up the ammo at the range. I've never had a round fail to fire, but with carry ammo it is always wise to err on the side of paranoia. :D
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I think you hit it Pistol. The key is practicing as often as possible with the handgun you will carry and the magazines you will use. It will be vary apparent when and if the springs become weak or take a set.

Besides, we're not paranoid... Everyone really is against us!
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008