Carrying A Firearm In A Vehicle - Florida Law

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by SpartanWarriorXIII, Nov 8, 2008.

1. SpartanWarriorXIII

SpartanWarriorXIII New Member

Does anyone know the legislation for this??? I know that for a handgun you must have a CCW permit and the weapon must be "securely placed". So for example you can have the firearm loaded and ready to rock as long as its placed somewhere secure such as a gun case or your glove compartment.

Now what about long guns??? Do you need a CCW permit to carry a long gun in your car??? Are there any age requirements because its legal for a 18 year old to own a rifle but is it legal to keep the rifle in the car??? Any specifications on how it should be secured??? Can it be loaded??? Thanks in advance for the answers!!!
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

3. bonkerpro

bonkerpro New Member

Florida is one of 22 states that reciprocate with Alabama, but in case of a doubt I would suspect the local laws apply.
  4. whirley

whirley Member

Here in Pa. I carry concealed on my person, whether driving or whatever, except on school grounds or other designated places like courthouses. A firearm that is in a case or not immediately available when needed is of no value. Long guns can be carried either in a case or in the car with the action open. That way it's possible to see they are not loaded. Don't display any firearms in New Jersey. Keep them in the trunk. You don't need the hassle from the police and State Attorney General.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Actually, in FL you can carry a loaded, ready-to-fire pistol in the glove compartment or other secure area without a concealed weapon permit. The same is true for SC and many other southern states.

Concealed weapon permits, in SC at least, don't even cover vehicle carry at all, except that a weapon outside a latched compartment must be concealed on your person if you have a concealed weapon permit. Such carry by anyone else lacking a permit is forbidden. Glove box carry is legal for all except those otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm in my state.

Here's some general rules for FL, from http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=FL

Emphasis added by me...

#7 says that you do not need a concealed weapons permit to transport a firearm in the state as long as it is properly secured in a compartment and not in the person's possession while occupying the vehicle.

Now, given that fact, I'm no FL law expert but I do visit there often... Look up your sheriff's department website and send the question in to a community officer. I got angry that a SC deputy in my county gave my grandfather the wrong answer on this question. When I sent my email the sheriff's dept. website, I received a cordial apology and an explanation of the law exactly as I understood it. I would think this same strategy would help you find your answer...

See the http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ website for any state of interest. They've served me well.

And for your question above regarding carry of long guns, I'd keep them carried in a separate compartment or secured container, unloaded. I'm not sure how the law would be interpreted in this situation but I can tell you that common-sense is going to point to the fact that a loaded long-gun is out of place. Keep it unloaded and in a secured, out-of-reach compartment. As I said above, if you want definitive answers, email your local sheriff's dept. I'm sure they'd rather help you now than answer questions later... ;)
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Probably something you understand now... but too many people think cops are legal experts. They aren't, it isn't their job to enforce every little law out there (like in Issaquah it is illegal to bring a goldfish onto a bus)... they are there to ensure the safety of the public at large.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Well, this was a bit different... The guy was a 14 year veteran of the County Sheriff's office and surely faces instances where he encounters someone with a gun in their glove box on a regular basis. He told my grandpa the glove box had to be lockable but he just let people get by if they 'acted right'. I found it hilarious because the state statute says the compartment must simply be latched and not locked. I wonder how many people this guy gave a hard time over his 14 years due to ignorance? The Lt. that responded told me he didn't understand not knowing that, as it was one of the most common questions he encountered in his time on the force. :eek:
  9. SpartanWarriorXIII

SpartanWarriorXIII New Member

Thx for the responses guys!!! I just wanted to make sure I was transporting my rifles correctly because I just turned 18 and when I go out to shoot with my rifles I don't wanna be doing anything illegal lol I keep them in a case unloaded anyway but I just bought a new one that I don't have a case for yet and I just wanted to see how I would transport this one if its any different than the rest. The loaded part of the question is mostly for security reasons seeing as I'm only 18 handguns are a negative for me and long guns would be my only form of defense. I feel weird not having a firearm with me thats the extent of my upbringing around firearms. Practically the entire side of my mom's family was in the military and just about all of them saw combat in Vietnam so I've been taught about firearms my entire life. Now that I'm old enough to own them I'm gonna be learning the laws lol Thx again guys
  10. younggun28

younggun28 New Member

my grandpa carrys a 44 mag revolver in his car in florida ")

:)
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

WOW....seems pretty restrictive to me. In Ohio you can carry (without a permit) any type of firearm (unloaded) in your vehicle so long as the firearm and ammunition are seperated by a locked compartment.

Whatever happened to gun racks in pickups?
  12. rice paddy daddy

rice paddy daddy Member

In Florida, hand guns may be carried in the vehicle if they are "securely encased", as noted above. This does not necessarily mean they have to be in a glove conpartment. They could be in a closed brief case laying on the seat. They could be in a snapped holster under the seat.
    Out here in the rural part of North Florida long guns carried leaning against the front seat next to the driver get no extra attention, but I wouldn't try that in, say, Fort Lauderdale.
    My crew cab pick up has a 357 snubbie in the glove box, a 45 auto in the console, and a 12 ga pump under the back seat. All are fully loaded. I would only need a concealed permit if I slipped one into my pocket and left the vehicle.
    Florida is a gun friendly state.
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

How in the world is the FL law more restrictive? In FL, you carry the loaded pistol in a latched but not necessarily locked compartment?.... :confused:
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

CARRYING
    Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about the person without a license.
    Exceptions:
    1. Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.
    2. Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting, while at, or going to or from shooting practice.
    3. Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms while at or going to or from exhibitions.
    4. Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or from such activity.
    5. Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe place or while going to or from such place.
    6. Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure indoor range.
    7. Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession.
    8. Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.
    9. Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms.
    10. Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so employed.

Ok didn't realize that they could be loaded. I thought they were saying an unloaded gun had to be under lock. My mistake.
  15. Pow ba te Pow

Pow ba te Pow New Member

If you live in Florida, you should buy this book:

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Most gun stores sell it. It is considered the leading authority on Florida gun law. Most police departments use it for internal training. An excellent read. Written by a pro-gun lawyer.