Carrying a gun in the trunk

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Charles Butler, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

I was wondering if it would be legal for me to carry a loaded shotgun in the trunk of my car for personal denfense, especialy since i live in a town where gang violence is unfortionally extremely high, now i would just carry a pistol and i will when i turn 21 next year but until then i would like to do this, and realize what it takes to pop the trunk and then grab the gun and everything but still i would like to be preapared if some gang members comes walking towards me at walmart with w/e intent (which is in the ghetto) when im putting my groceries or w/e away.
  2. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

In my state, it's illegal to carry a loaded gun in your car anywhere, even if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. I may be wrong, but I would think that having a loaded shotgun in the trunk is probably not a good idea (as far as being legal is concerned).
  3. zb338

zb338 New Member

Why don't you get a copy of your state's firearms laws and
    see what it is you can and can't do? Here in New Jersey you
    can't have a loaded gun in a vehicle. We can't even travel around
    with a gun in our cars unless we are going to and from the range,
    hunting, place of business or gunsmith etc.

Zeke
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, you need to get a copy of your state's laws and see what is and ain't legal.

What's a w/e? :confused:
  5. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

The NRA ILA is a good place to start for this kind of research.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

I seriously suspect that it is illegal and, as a young guy in a bad neighborhood, it could get you hassled by the cops.
  6. big steve

big steve New Member

Yes I would check your states laws and regualtions, because it will most likely vary from different states.

Regards,
    STEVE
  7. SARG

SARG Member

What I enjoy most about the law is....... It ain't broken till you get caught.
  8. Mouton

Mouton New Member

It might be illegal and it might not be depending on the state. Regardless, a gun in the trunk is not going to do you much good IMO if you are keeping it there for self protection.
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I think a loaded gun in the trunk is about as useless as boobs on a bull. i think your better off with a taser or pepper spray.
  10. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I second the alternative weapons.
  11. Win73

Win73 New Member

I remember reading about one case where guns in the trunk came in mighty handy for one fellow. He was carjacked by two guys who put him in the trunk. What they didn't know was that he had some guns in a bag in the trunk. When they got to where they were going and opened the trunk, he came out shooting!

Would he have been better off to have had a gun in the car with him? Maybe. I know I have one in my pocket plus a bigger one in the console beside me in my car.
  12. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

W/e is whatever w/o is without and just w/ is with and ya i did check out my state laws and its illegal to have a loaded firearm in the car unless its a pistol and you have your carry permit, however a gun that takes a clip and even though the clip is fully loaded as long as the clip is not engaged to the firearm its ok, and i dont live in a bad neighbor hood just a town with high gang violence and i cant always avoid these areas, and true a gun in the trunk probably isnt gonna do much good, but i play in a local softball league and the only fields are located in these gang areas (why i dont know) and a lot of the time the games dont get over till 1130 12 at night. And as for pepper spray or taser hows that gonna work when they approach me 10 people deep " here let me pepper spray one so the rest can beat me to death" and thats the only way these gang bangers are tough, never 1 on 1 cause if it was that i would be afriad of **** im not a little guy and can hold my own but im not bruce lee and gonna take on 5 or more gang bangers with nothing to lose.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Sounds like you may need a loaded 12 gauge BFF in the trunk for w/e that comes your way...lol:D
  14. BusterJangle

BusterJangle New Member

I'm not trying to sound like a wise-a$$, but my first suggestion would be to find a different softball league or a different hobby. If you don't feel that's an option, request some police presence at the fields on game nights (might not always be available, but some is better than none). Also, speak with the league and city parks department, there could be some serious liability issues if something were to happen during or immediately after league-sponsored activities. I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that the league and city both have a basic obligation to provide a safe environment for games. One last thing: a significant part of having a carry permit is not habitually going to places where you might end up in a use-of-force situation, especially for something like a rec league (my opinion, nobody else's). Just my $.02.
  15. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    In CA, you can legally transport (carry) an unloaded weapon in a "locked box." Your trunk is considered a locked box. You may not carry it loaded. That's a felony. Guns and ammo are to be kept apart. You have to ask yourself, "how many times have I been stopped by the cops, and they looked into my trunk?" Let your answer and your conscience be your guide. TJ