Carrying-cocked and locked?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by tntrucker, Oct 11, 2009.

1. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

Been playing in the safe. I swear; I think my surplus CZ-82 fits my hand better than anything I have. I had never considered it for carry. But ,it fits my hand great- ambi. safety and mag. release(I'm a lefty)- it's a good shooter. I had become sort of a miser about my ammo. Find I'm flush with 9x18 including self- defence. Seriously thinking about swapping to the CZ from Kahr CW-40 (13 rd. compared to 7).
    My QUESTION: CZ safety is designed for cocked and locked. This isn't a 1911. It's a USED CZ. The safety clicks on and off good! But I've never carried anything cocked and locked (to my shame I don't own a 1911). The CZ has a a really sweet D/A pull.
    Which would be Safer; cocked and locked or safety off-hammer down. Hope someone has info, cause I'm not going to carry unless I'm sure it's safe!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the 82. I do know that the CZ75 was designed so it could be carried cocked and locked. That gave you the option of carrying hammer down (DA) or condition 1 (SA), depending on how you were trained and what you felt more comfortable with. Either way is safe.

I presume that if the 82 can be carried cocked and locked, it was designed the same way.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think my signature tells it all here. Only guns I own with manual safeties are long ones! A friend recently picked up 3 of the CZ82's and I got to shoot one for the first time last month. I was quite impressed with it; very solid and darn accurate. He paid a little under $300 ea for it, a pretty good deal IMO after shooting it.
  4. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    The Kahr is a (trigger-cocking) double-action only; there is no external safety, and no external decocking mechanism. So there's no hammer to cock; it's like carrying cocked-and-locked all the time, anyway. So that's a nonissue.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Don't have a 82 but I have a 83. Same gun, different caliber. I know a few guys that carry the 82 cocked and locked. The 82's are equipped with a very clever internal hammer block safety. It sits along with the sear. If the gun is dropped say right on the hammer it will not fire. The hammer block will not allow the hammer to contact the pin unless the trigger is at full rear position. Many people complain about the CZ's overtravel but the reason for this is the hammer safety being moved down in that over travel.
    The sear notches are very robust and at a positive engagement. Some are so deep and angled that if you watch closely you can actually see the hammer fall back a little further in SA mode. Some people have had this corrected to lighten the trigger pull so check yours to see if that is the case.
    Along with using the safety IMO I believe your pretty safe to carry C&L
  6. Lost One

Lost One New Member

I dont have the CZ but I am running into something similar. I have had a permit for about 15 years and got out of carrying for about the last 10 years. I just recently started to carry again.

Back when carrying I carried a 1991 with one in the pipe and the hammer down, then switched to a Browning HP and carried the same as the 1991 both of those being SA I would have to pull the hammer back to be able to use it. I then went to a Beretta Chetta that had DA so I was able to put one in the pipe but with hammer down I was able to fire it using the DA.

I just bought a Ruger SR9 for carry and now I dont have the ability to put the hammer down and its not DA only so if I put one in the pipe and the safety on I am carrying in the cocked and locked mode basically. I guess I will just have to get over the idea of a mechanical failure in the safety and accept that the guns safety will do its job. From reading its the same design principle as the Glock (striker fire) but with the option of a thumb safety.