1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cartridge CatchAll Box

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by todd51, Mar 4, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Was looking for some thing in that catchall box that seems to grows and grows when no one is looking. Saw some items that caused a question or two and figured what the heck I post a picture.

R to L top row: .45ACP SWC, .45ACP shot capsule, .44WCF, .44Mag., .41 Rim Fire, .41 Long Colt, 30 Mauser, .32 S&W Long, 30 Luger, 32-20, 32S&W, .380 Auto.

R to L bottom row: .50 BMG, 7mm Mauser, .30.06, .33 WCF, .30-30 Win., 45-70 Gov., .45-75 WCF

One question is the cartridge in the center. It appears to be an 8mm and is French I think. Head stamp is SFM, with a couple entwining circle arrows and two opposing stars. Don't know what it is or what it is used in. It has an unusual rim.

Another question is what does the black paint on the 30.06 tip indicate?

Last question, what about the red paint on the tip of the .50 BMG indicate?

I have long forgotten where most of this stuff came from or when but it is a cold night and I am out of reading material.

Don't hesitate to correct any of my errors.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I know for sure that the black tip on the '06 round means that it is an Armor pentrating projectile. I belive that the red on the BMG means it is a tracer round. Neat little collection
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When listing the top row, you stopped at 380. There is one more - 25 ACP.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You are right Alpo, It was late and I was bored and forgot to type that one. This stuff just came out of a "junk" box". There was other stuff in there too but I stopped. The batteries ran down on the camera and I must have taken half a dozen shots before I got one half way presentable. I should have stopped when the battery died and just went to bed.
  5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

The black tipped 30-06 has a steel core actually a pointed rod. Just guessing but about 1/8" diameter and length of the bullet. The rest of the bullet impacts the target and the steel core goes right through. Don't remember how much armor it will penetrate but it would penetrate the armor on Jap tanks but then again so would the ball rounds.

Don't know if it's true but when I was growing up I was told by several different people that the bullet works on the same principle as the old parlor trick of sticking a sewing needle in a cork and setting it on a case knife blade and striking the exposed end with another case knife handle. It would then pierce the blade of the first knife. Better not try that with Moms good flatware.