The Firearms Forum banner

cartridge question

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cpttango30 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased some new hanloads for my 300 warbird. They are loaded with 165 nosler accubond a little above 3600 fps. I noticed a real sharp burr on the case mouth. After smoothing the burr just a little I fired a few. They are measuring longer than factory rounds do but not what is said to be max. What i am noticing is a ring that goes all the way around the shoulder (like a chamber ring), that I never noticed with other loads. Its not deep but definately shows a little. What may have caused this? Is it possible that by not sizing the brass that it made the impression from over stretching of the new brass? And lastly, is it common practice for somebody who assumes that a person is going to reload his rounds to leave the casing like that on initial firing and does this make it easier on the reloader? The rounds shoot great but barrel life is short enough with these bazookas. your time is much appreciated as i would love to know where that ring may be coming from.
Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks, I looked through some older fired casings and noticed that they had the same. Some of which were fired through a friends rifle. Theses new casings seem to be alittle on the yellow side of the brass field where as the older ones definately have the reddish appearance. Do you think i could take a fingernail file and ever so slightly remove those burrs, and do you think he just grabbed them out of the box and started shoving bullets in them. I've ordered rounds from superior and of course some factory loads and they're all smooth, trim and proper. Thanks again

#6 ·
Since you said that these are "handloads", it would be my guess that someone didn't do a good prep job before loading these and didn't deburr the brass. Gently run a fine file like a nail file around the mouth keeping it as flat to the neck as possible.

#7 ·
Since you said that these are "handloads", it would be my guess that someone didn't do a good prep job before loading these and didn't deburr the brass.
That was my first thought as I read that. Since the person who reloaded them was doing it for someone else, he took less tame and care than he would if doing for himself???? If you are going to reload, you need to be consistent no matter what!

#8 ·
I think this is the first thread about the 7.82 lazzeroni warbird since my joining back in 07. It is a smokin hot round. Only out performed by the .300 Tejas (180 grainer at 3800 fps) that im aware of.

The ring at the shoulder is most likely from them wobbling around inside the plastic ammo box (im assuming here they they were sitting bullet up in an MTM caseguard). the top edge of the square cartridge slots tends to make a ring around the shoulder of the brass. especialy when you leave them bouncing around in the trunk of your car on the way to the range.

I cant see anything in the chamber making that mark, not without also making extraction next to impossible.

As to the burrs.. Somebody missed a step in the loading process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.