Cartridge Setback

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mrauditor, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Shooting a like-new Ruger Redhawk 44mag this morning in my local gunshop range and after the first round fired, the cylinder would not turn. After opening the cylinder and then re-closing it, the next five rounds fired normally. If I was counting on this weapon for self defense, I would not feel it was totally reliable. Anyone have similar experience with a revolver, and if so, how did you rectify the situation ?
    Can the cylinder be made recessed inexpensively ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Lots of readers, but no commenters. OK

We'll just call the incident either a fluke or operator error and move on.

Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. whip

whip New Member

My past experiences along those lines were due to a single flake of burned powder under the ejector in a S&W revolver.
  4. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Thanks for the comment , whip. I did not think about that possibility. I also thought that perhaps I did not 100% fully latch the cylinder and that it opened just a fraction. I guess that whatever caused the situation, I will make another trip to the range in a week or two and see how it goes then.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Check to make sure that all parts are tight with the crane assembly.