Cartridge Setback

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mrauditor, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Georgia
    Shooting a like-new Ruger Redhawk 44mag this morning in my local gunshop range and after the first round fired, the cylinder would not turn. After opening the cylinder and then re-closing it, the next five rounds fired normally. If I was counting on this weapon for self defense, I would not feel it was totally reliable. Anyone have similar experience with a revolver, and if so, how did you rectify the situation ?
    Can the cylinder be made recessed inexpensively ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Georgia
    Lots of readers, but no commenters. OK

We'll just call the incident either a fluke or operator error and move on.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

3. whip

whip Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Wyoming
    My past experiences along those lines were due to a single flake of burned powder under the ejector in a S&W revolver.

4. mrauditor

mrauditor New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Georgia
    Thanks for the comment , whip. I did not think about that possibility. I also thought that perhaps I did not 100% fully latch the cylinder and that it opened just a fraction. I guess that whatever caused the situation, I will make another trip to the range in a week or two and see how it goes then.

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Check to make sure that all parts are tight with the crane assembly.