Case buldge problems?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jboo37, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

I have not loaded .38/.357 for many years but I am thinking about getting into cowboy action shooting so I am starting to load up .38's again. I have a Lee turret press and at the bottom where the case is in the case holder, it seems to buldge. When I put the finished bullet in the cylinder of the gun it is very tight. Any suggestions? Thanks, John.
  2. Kestral

Kestral Member

Lee do a Factory Crimp Die which takes out most of the bulge making a better fit,I also hear they have something new with a rotating handle on the top,but I haven`t seen it yet,which does the job.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Pretty sure that the FCD is not going to remove the bulge at the bottom of the case. I'm tending to lean twoards the die not being adjusted improperly or some slop in the press. Try to back the die OUT 1/4 -1/2 turn and then run the sized case through a gauge or into your chamber to check the fit. ( I'm assuming that you're using carbide dies )
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. Warith

Warith Member

I had that same problem with my lee progtessive press. I had to back the bullet seating die out a bit and no more bulging cases. When you do that you have to then use the LFCD to crimp them but then that is what it is for.
  5. woolleyworm

The OP's problem is with a bulge in the bottom of the case, not at the base of the bullet.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too think the die is misadjusted. Set the die to contact the shellholder with the ram at the top of its stroke. This will cause the brass to resized as far as it can possibly be resized
  7. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Thanks for the replies. The problem is were the case goes into the shell holder on top of the ram at the very bottom of the case. Were it is help by the holder, that part does not get resized because it can not go into the die, the case holder is holding the bottom of the case. I hope that clears it up, I don't know how else to describe it. Maybe I have been doing it wrong for all these years, but my other calibers come out ok. Thanks, John.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that bulge is normal and is found on just about all resized pistol rounds...
  9. woolleyworm

I understand exactly what you meant, I've had it happen before also.

Did you try what I had suggested? There is a difference between carbide dies and steel dies when it comes to resizing the same exact case. Carbide dies will not resize the case as much as a steel die can. If you take a steel die and a carbide die side by side, you'll see that the carbide die has a bit more radius to it than the steel die. I adjust the sizing die with the ram fully up, running the die down until it just touches the shellholder and then back it out 1/4 turn. A steel die, you can lock down at this postion and not worry about the shellholder contact. Carbide is brittle and the increased radius can cause bulge problems. This is why i suggested that you try to back the die out some and see what happens to your case. The bottom of the case is usually not expanded enough to cause any problems with tight chambering; your problem is most likely with the die too far down if it's carbide. Please try this and post results.
  10. woolleyworm

His bulge at the base is causing chambering problems though. I think some adjustment will get it back to spec.
  11. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Thanks Woolleyworm, I think that may do it. Most of my brass already has the buldge, but a few that didn't seem to be fine after going through the die. Thanks again..
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Lets back up. Are you 100% sure that the bulge you see at the base is the reason for the chambering issues? I'm not. Take a fired case and run it through your sizing die. No bullet, no powder no primer, Then see if it chambers! If it does then you have issues in the flaring/seating stage not the sizing stage.
  13. woolleyworm

You mean back up to post 3 ? Still waiting to hear back on his results.
  14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yup, but like you said he did not reply so I thought I would state it a little differently.
  15. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Cmon LD we need your 2 cents here:D
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cant say ive ever experience any of these problems with my carbide dies and they are all set to kiss the shellholder...
  17. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Agreed, that's why I think his problem is after sizing Somewhere in seating, flaring, crimping, OAL.
  18. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

I did reply at 253 pm yesterday, I am new to the post so maybe it didn't show up on your end. I could see it so I thought everybody could. It seems to have worked, I still need to chamber them, but like I said in the reply most of my brass had the bulge in it already. Thanks again.