case cleaning

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 8:47:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All case cleaning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Should I wash my brass before I tumble it?
    If so how should I go about it and does it need to dry before I tumble it?
    RANGE ME

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 12:07:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: case cleaning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my humble opinion, I would say no, unless they were full of mud. Then the answer would be that you would want the inside of the case free of any obstructions. You do want your brass dry during the tumbling process with the old primers in place. It's a bugger to clean the primer picket out of every case that has a tad of media lodged in the primer pocket hole. Berry's sells a chemical cleaner for about $6.00 to add to your media to clean and polish your brass. 2 to 3 hours for clean 10 to 12 hours for a bright polished finish, depending on condition of the brass.
    www.berrysmfg.com
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/23/01 1:27:29 pm

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 12:17:48 pm)
    You can mix a wash solution from water, dish soap and vinegar that will clean your brass if dirty or heavily tarnished. Then you rinse and dry them before polishing. Works very good. I can't remember the correct portion for each right now. Anyone remember how to mix it?? Been a very long time since I have needed to wash brass.

shooter22
    (10/23/01 7:44:32 pm)
    This topic needs moved to the reloading forum.

shooter22

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 9:27:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks
    Thanks for the info

Shooter- I know , but I wanted a quicker response than what I would have gotten by placing in the Reloading Forum

shooter22
    (10/23/01 10:02:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks
    Ok, thought maybe this was an alertness test.

shooter22

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 10:04:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del sHOOTER
    You get the Gold star shooter!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 10:30:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: sHOOTER
    Guess it IS an alertness test, for the topic POSTER - I hit that forum almost every day.

Unless they really are muddy, wouldn't bother washing them.
    Tumbling will take care of everything.
    And if you try the product mentioned above, or Dillon's polishing additive, you'll have a very nice cleaning job in short order.

Rich

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 10:36:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Amount
    Is there a set amount of compound(ground walnut) to use for cleaning or do ya'll just eyeball it?

shooter22
    (10/23/01 10:53:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Amount
    My mixture is one part corncob media to two parts walnut. then add a couple oz's of Flitz non-amonia tumbling media cleaner and you will not believe the results!

shooter22

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 10:56:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Amount
    well, you use it more than once, just make sure the brass is completely covered in the tub. If you can see brass while it's running, you're missing opportunities to polish it, and the job will take longer.
    I just keep my tumbler full to the point where it just spills out (if I leave the lid off).
    I'm sure everybody has their own unique answer.

Also no harm in mixing types of brass, as long as the casings won't 'nest' in each other (like 9mm brass wedging inside a .45). I'll often tumble 9mm & .223 at the same time, or .45 & 30-06. A couple will stick together, but it takes half the time.

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/24/01 7:23:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del brass
    Thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated. I'm sure I will have some more for you soon.

BlackGun
    (10/24/01 11:19:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: brass
    Just a foot note: The Berrys manuel says to fill your tumler to about 2/3 capcity of the tub with media.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/24/01 6:03:24 pm

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/2/01 10:20:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: brass
    Here's a formula for brass cleaner (makes a great window cleaner, too). It doesn't shine 'em, but works great for getting rid of any unburned powder residue and general crud that accumulates inside cartridge cases. It also neutralizes any corrosive primer salts.

1/2 cup of sudsy ammonia
    1 pint of rubbing alcohol
    1 teaspoon Ivory Liquid
    Water to make one gallon

Soak for a 1/2 hour.....agitate....soak for another 1/2 hour (overnight is even better).....agitate....remove, rinse in hot water, and let air dry overnight.

The liquid is reusable several times. Just let it stand overnight to allow the crud to settle. Pour off the liquid into another bottle or can....and rinse the crud out of the original bottle.

Ammo Guy Paul
    (8/12/02 5:24:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ;) Cleaning brass
    I process brass in three steps. 1) Wash them in hot soapy water (dishwashing detergent is good because it cuts grease). Soap is a base so it will also neutralize acids. 2) Rinse brass and refill with hot water. To that add concentrated lemon juice and vinegar. I use about 4 times more vinegar cause it’s cheaper. I do these 2 steps separately because vinegar and lemon juice are acidic and soap is a base. Put the 2 together and they would neutralize each other. 3) Dry them and tumble as usual. One advantage of this is that the acid attacks any corrosion, making it VERY obvious. Tumbling media stays cleaner longer. Brass comes out very slick and shiny. Easier to re-size.

The Ammo Guy

"Aim small, miss small."

Ross95966
    (8/12/02 7:03:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ;) Cleaning brass
    Vinegar and lemon juice are often used, but ammonia is said to harm the brass over time. It gives a good cosmetic appearance, but you know how well it removes copper fouling from a bore. Caveat.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross