1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

case guages & dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Topkat, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Topkat

Topkat New Member

When I decapped and polished my last batch of 45 ACP I tried all the cases in a case gauge guide and found that many wouldn't fit into it easily. After running them thru the resizing die a second time, most of them fit the gauge just fine.
    Can my resizing die be 'going bad'? I took it apart and thourougly cleaned it (it was real dirty) but his didnt cure the problem. The inside of the die appears to have many scratches.
    thank you again
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Don't think the die is going bad. Maybe you didn't have it screwed in all the way or you were short stroking the press.
  3. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I agree with capt, I think it is unlikely that the problem is the die, even if the inside shows scratches. More likely it is an issue of setup or operation
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt even bother with trimming .45 ACP brass. I have been reloading that round for nearly a decade now and Ive never trimmed it. I find the brass actually shrinks a bit and then stops growing altogether. I always check a random handful but each and everytime I reload the lot they all come in around .890.