Case lube question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    (10/26/01 11:32:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Case lube question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just got in a set of 22 Hornet dies, buddits and brass, ready to relad some ammo, but I don't have a case lube pad. And there is no where close to buy one. Is there a substitute for a cse lube pad, I can use. The dies is not carbide!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/26/01 11:35:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Case lube question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Office supply store should have CLEAN new inkstamp pads.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    (10/26/01 12:25:02 pm)
    What kind of lube would I use, I don't have any case lube either. I really don't know what I need. This is my first try at rifle.
    BlackGUN

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/1/01 8:28:15 pm)
    I used to buy a cheap chassi lube at the Shell station. Worked fine. I've even used Wildroot Creme Oil. Most any such is all right until you can get a tube of RCBS lube. I tried the spray on stuff and it worked but costs about 10 times what the tube stuff costs.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/2/01 1:45:02 am)
    I'm using Dillon's case lube - comes in a manual-pump-spray bottle, and I believe it is a alcohol-parafin mix.
    I usually lay the brass out on a sheet of newspaper - picture rows of belted ammo - with the case mouths facing away from me, give it a good spritz.
    Few minutes to dry, roll the row a half-turn, spray again.

Works really nice, no super-greasy feel.

I used to use RCBS' product, and lube pad, but got tired of only doing 10-12 30-06 cases at a time.
    With dillon's spray, I lay out the entire caliber batch, spray, then dump the casings into a bin for the reloading run.

Rich

Zigzag2
    (11/2/01 7:46:12 am)
    An Old Pro taught me to use motor honey and lightly apply with my fingers. A little messy... but works well and saves your NON-carbibe dies.
    But of course there are those new fandangled ways too.

Zig

BlackGun
    (11/8/01 3:00:28 pm)
    Ziggy, I was told to brush a little in the case mouth, will this contaminate the powder charge or corrupt the primers
    BlackGUN

WyomingSwede
    (11/8/01 4:49:26 pm)
    Dont walk...Run down to your gunshop and pick up a can of Hornady One-shot case lube. You spray it...no mess...can leave the brass in the rack while you do it...wont contaminate either primers or powder. Great stuff been using it for years. No hassle..covers well. Instructions on the can.....I've been off the pads for years. Hope this helps. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

kdubaz
    (11/8/01 11:07:22 pm)
    If'n you don't have a gunshop handy, the ink stamp pad and a small container of STP from the auto parts store will work wonders. Use SPARINGLY! The small amount of oil that clings to your finger tips when seating the brass in the shell holder is sufficient to swipe a forefinger across the case mouth to deposit a minute amount of lubricant for the expander button.

Remember, .22 Hornet brass is small, light walled and long tapered. Doesn't take to a lot of heavy handed operations in the reloading press. After you have full length resized and have fired the cases, neck size only after that to save wear and tear on brass.

'Swede is absolutely correct - if you do have access to a gunshop, the Hornady One-Shot is the stuff I also use to lube a bunch of cases. Haven't rolled a case on a lube pad for years, now that the Hornady stuff is abvailable.
    Keep below the ridgeline!