Case Lube versus Case Spray

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1911Man, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

I've always read and heard to roll my .45ACP casings, or any casings for that matter, on my case lube pad before depriming and sizing. Though I've seen a few really good videos by well-respected reloaders and all they do is lay their casings on a towel and spray them and roll them around on that. I like this better if its ok. Thoughts? Verification?

Thanks.
    Alex
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have tired the spray lubes and control of how much lube gets on the case seems hard to get. So I use the old RCBS lube pad and their liquid lube on the pad, but not too much. I squeeze it out so that it is only damp with lube. That's enough for several hundred rifle cases. I pick up the case, roll it once on the pad, and put it in the press.

You are lubing 45ACP? If your dies are carbide or Hornady's special coating then you don't need to use lube at all for straight walled pistol cases. If you are using old non-carbide 45ACP dies you need to consider upgrading to new carbide dies. Newer dies use tighter tolerances for resizing which give better tighter bullet to case fit and more consistent ignition.

LDBennett
  3. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

I'm using RCBS dies. Not sure if they're carbide.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It should say on the die if it is. Also, you should be able to see the carbide ring at the bottom of the die, if it is.
  5. LDBennett

It definitely will say "RCBS CARBIDE FL" on the top surface of the full length sizing die. Seeing the carbide ring might not be possible as I can not easily see it on one of my RCBS Carbide sizing dies.

If you don't have a modern carbide die I urge you to get one.

LDBennett
  6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I prefer the spray lube myself. I have been using the hornady spray for years now with no problems. I find it to be faster also. I just take a block of 100 rounds and spray them all at once.
  7. res45

res45 Member

I guess it possible to still get a set of pistol dies that are steel and require lubing not sure what the purpose of those would be,all of mine from various mfg. are carbide and require no lubing.

Rifle cases on the other hand all mine require lubing I use either Lee lube and a pad or Imperial sizing wax. Both work and I've never stuck a case in a die,in 25 years of reloading.
  8. LDBennett

1911Man:

To make it clear, I don't single stage press reload. My cases awaiting progressive or turret reloading are in a plastic bucket not in loading blocks. That makes spraying them uniformly impossible. If you single stage reload, as "308 at my gate" apparently does then the spray lube may be for you (??).

LDBennett
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

You are correct I single stage reload. But can you spray them and then put them in your plastic bucket.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have never been able to perfect spray lube myself, alway thinking I had juuust the perfect amount on a batch of brass only to find one get stuck in the die or hydraulic dents occuring from excess. I sprayed some in a ziplock bag once and tumbled them around in my hands and it did work ok but I still end up using the pad to even out the lube. I think this is one of those "leave well enough alone" situations for me and chose the regular lube and pad, I save alot more brass and time not extracting stuck cases and tossing dented ones. Also spraying pretty much assures you get a certain amount of lube down inside the case. I'd think thats not a great thing for consistent burn on powder performance. Lastly I don't like the fumes, breathing in atomized petroleum products is just bad news in the long run.
  11. army mp

army mp Member

I had the same problems as shooter with the spray lubes. The can of RCBS spray I have . I now just spray on the pad. There must be a trick to getting it just right. After denting a few cases I just gave up on the sprays. And I sure don’t miss the old steel pistol dies.
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I DO USE A PAD ,HOWEVER I JUST TOUCH PAD WITH FINGER AND GO AROUND NECK AND SHOULDERS ONLY. THE OTHERS ARE CORRECT RE CARBIDE DIES,IF YOURS ISNT YOU NEED TO GET THEM.IT WILL NOT TAKE A LOT BEFORE THEY PAY FOR THEMSELVES.KNKW THAT YOU WILL GET SOME DENTED CASES UNTIL YOU GET THE AMOUNT OF LUBE RIGHT,LESS IS MORE. OLD SEMPERFI