Case lube

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun-nut, Nov 26, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Has anyone here made thier own case resizing lube or has substituded something for it?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use Lee paste lube duluted with alcohol so it will spray thru a spray bottle. 1 tube to about a pint of alcohol works good, you can go thinner and it still works good.

Just put the brass in a ziploc freezer bag and spray them about 10 or 15 pumps. Then shake them around in the bag, then open the bag and spray them again about 10 pumps. then shake again. and set them out to dry and size away. makes one single 4 dollar tube of Lee paste lube size about 10K rifle cases. Maybe more..

And I have never gotten a stuck case with it, in fact I think its better than HDY oneshot and the RCBS and Lyman roller pads.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Many years ago, when both I and the sporting good store were out of RCBS case lube, the counter guy told me that Alberto VO5 Hair Dressing worked just as good, if not better, and was much cheaper.

That's why I now own an RCBS Stuck-Case Remover. :mad:

Howsomever, when I find I just have a couple of cases, for some reason, and don't want to mess with getting the case lube out, a drop of Ballistol on my finger, rubbed lightly around the bottom of the shoulder and gingerly at the mouth has always worked fine. That's labor-intensive, as it would be very easy to get too much, and cause shoulder dents, but it DOES work.
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I will have to try them ideas out! I just got off the phone with another reloader friend and he said he has used Crisco cooking grease. The reason i ask in i dont want to drive 20 miles just for some lube. I would spend more in gas.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

anyone ever use motor oil on their lube pad?
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I just use a lube pad and RCBS lube on everything except my benchrest cases. I hand apply wax to the bench rest cases.
  7. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I think motor oil has the possibility of degrading your primer/powder to the point where they wont ignite. If I remeber correctly.
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

What kind of wax?
  9. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

The Crisco seems to work ok. But use it very very thin. It dents the case.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most likely liquid paraffin gun-nut..
  11. murphy's law

murphy's law New Member

I've always found "HOS" to be excellent lube and not all that expensive and surly goes a long ways. Still use the old "baggie" trick and have yet so experience a stuck case in my 550B. I even use it for pistol loads as it makes for a smoother operation of the press as well.
  12. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Redding Imperial
  13. mikld

mikld Active Member

Mink Oil Boot Dressing is available anywhere yoiu can find shoe polish. It has worked for me on thousands of .223 brass and a bunch of 30-30 stuff too. Dab a little on my finger, smear a very thin layer on the case and size. Works great and the Mink Oil is good on my hands too! I've read of Lanolin dissolved in alcohol (80%+ rather than the cheap stuff;70%) and used in a spray bottle.
  14. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I like Redding Imperial because I do not like to tumble my highly prepped brass. I just wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth after it is loaded and it is good to go. My bench rest brass has never been tumbled. Hopefully, it never will have to be.
  15. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

:bow: very nice... i have a tin that i use for my IWB holster that i thought was a lifetime supply, now i can lube cases with it as well...