Case prep question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Infidel762, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Infidel762

Infidel762 New Member

For bottleneck rifle case prep who here does not chamfer/debur? I have seen several videos lately of ppl prepping 223 and they will re-size, trim, then just tumble. I have been prepping on my RCBS case prep station (also where I rigged up my lee case trim tool) and get the feeling not many do this. I don't "prep" any of my pistol brass other than clean it (maybe) and re-size it and was wondering if doming something similar for rifle would affect anything like seating bullets or getting snagged in chamber.
  2. Hedge

Hedge New Member

Chamfering the necks is a good practice. Especially if you're seating flat based bullets. It makes a difference. They seat easier and there's less risk of crushing or deforming the neck.
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I go the extra steps on all my rifle cases, trim, de-bur inside and out, uniform the primer pocket, de-bur the flash hole. I'm not quite so picky on pistol cases tho. Maybe a waste of time to most people, but it's my time, and I like the final results.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you do not de-burr the cases after trimming the burr will catch on flat based bullets during seating and collapse the throat of the case. Some times the outside burr from trimming is so sharp as to cut your hands from just handling the cases. Whenever I trim I follow it with de-burring both outside and inside the case throat. I also use the steel brush on my motorized RCBS prep-station to clean out the primer pockets and the nylon brush to brush out the inside of the throat of the case. I only do these later steps during trimming. If a lot of cases does not need trimming then they don't get the primer pockets or the throat necks cleaned.

LDBennett
  5. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

These guys are right on. If you trim, you need to chamfer and debur.
  6. BD1023

BD1023 New Member

Maybe they were using a 3 way head that trims,deburs and chamfers all at once.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know of any such "head" myself. Lyman has one that deburs and chamfers at the same time. I do it in three separate steps.
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

9. mikld

mikld Member

If your methods are working for you, if you don't crush cases when bullet seating (I don't), then continue. I was a machinist for several years and it's natural for me to debur any cutting I do on metal, brass trimming included (the cut isn't complete until it's debured)...
  10. BD1023

BD1023 New Member

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Inside/outside chamfer is a must for accurate ammo. Seating a bullet into a sharp case will shave bullet jacket and can cause accuracy issues. Its why benchrest shooters use a specialized chamfer tool with a very low angled cutter so the bullet starts into the case without any bullet jacket distortion.