Case prep questions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlranger, Apr 4, 2011.

1. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Just out of curiosity which situation do you think would cause more vibration? Tumbling in a tumbler for 10 minutes or all of the transportation to get ammo to our troops overseas and all the miles it has been driven in Military vehicles. How about a hunter that throws a box of ammo behind the seat of his truck and forgets about it for a few years?

One more thing. I bet in the owner manuals you have for your firearms it says not to shoot reloads in the guns just like the manuals I have. So are you going to quit reloading? After all it does say not to shoot reloads.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RustyFN:

There is no implied safety issue with shooting well made reloads in a gun. The manufacturer just wants no liability for the gun when they think the situation is uncontrolled. When some people reload they decide not to follow the manuals and "experiment". The manufacturer can not control the experimenting so they void the warrantee if you shoot reloads. I accept that but my safety is not in jeopardy if I make the reloads "per the book".

When a reloader invents processes not in the manuals they are experimenting but there may be a safety issue. Without testing no one knows for sure. I cited the two areas that concern me; (fracturing the shapes and affecting the burn rate, and removal of the deterrent coating and affecting the burn rate. PROBABLY only the consistency for accuracy is affected but I don't know for sure for every powder provided by manufacturers nor do you. The vibratory cleaning might be an obvious step to remove the lube from finished rounds so why do the manual editor not address it? Could it be they don't want you to do it so they don't suggest it.

I don't care what others do with their reloads because they will not be shot in any of my guns...EVER. But I do think it very unwise to recommend an undocumented procedure with a possible negative outcome to a new reloader or to anyone. If there is a real problem and something happens a lawyer may be visiting the person who made the recommendation.

Finally I would argue there is a big difference between the vibrations of a truck the ammo happens to be riding in and the concentrated vibrations from a cleaning device like a common vibratory cleaner. Perhaps 10 minutes is not enough to do damage to the powder but I don't know that for sure. Common sense tells me it is not good because it is not a documented process for reloading cartridges that I have seen anywhere (??).

I challenge (as I did before) anyone to find any reputable reloading manual that suggests to vibratory clean reloaded cartridges after they are finished to remove the sizing lube. I could be wrong and will surely admit it if someone can find such a recommendation. It is just that I find my logic makes sense (??).

LDBennett
  3. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I agree with you there.

I don't see anyplace where I recommended for others to do this. All I said was I do it and that there is no documented fact that it is harmfull. I have also seen a special on TV where they were on a tour of a big ammo manufacture and they tumbled the loaded ammo before it was boxed. I guess you would have a strong argument that factory ammo is unsafe.
  4. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

nice stuff you have there myfriendis140