case question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Jan 28, 2012.

1. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

<- grew up just outside of montpelier
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree. Bought a case, a few years back, of FC96 45 ball. Crimped primers.
  3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Just a 'chirp' from the peanut gallery. The crimp on the primer pocket was done to keep the primers from backing out - especially when used in full-auto firearms.

Thw military is very serious about tracking and identifying different lots (batches) of ammo. That way, if there is a problem with a specfic lot of ammo received from a manufacturor, it is fairly easy to identify it and pull it from the supply system - without shutting down the whole "kit and kaboodle".

I COULD very well be wrong, but I've never heard or read anything that states that military brass is stamped from different thickness brass stock than is commercial (civilian) ammo. I've read in numerous reloading manuals to reduce maximum charges for military brass - AND I'M JUST GUESSING HERE - but could that be because they assume that the military stuff would be range-pick-up while they specify new commercial cases (Rem, Win, FC, etc) for the load data?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Everywhere I've read about "reducing charges for military brass", it specifically says it is because military brass is thicker. This might be an old wives' tale, but it's been around for a long time.
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I reload .223. I have PMC cases that are military spec, and PPU cases that are commercial spec. My load for PPU cases is 24.6 gr. N140, and for PMC cases is 22.4 gr. N140. 24.6 gr. of powder fills the PMC cases clear up to the top of the case and allows no room for the bullet. I did the "fill it up with water and weigh it" test and found the inside volume of the PPU cases to be greater than the PMC cases. In this case the military spec cases are thicker than the PPU cases.

I suppose you would need to check each type of case...perhaps not all military cases are thicker than commercial grade cases. Forgive the pun, but it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. :)
  6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I also think that the easiest way to tell is if it has a circle with a + sign in it. I may be wrong but I think that is the way to tell if mil spec or not.
  7. jim brady

That stamp on the case head - the circle with the p - is just a symbol that the cartridge was loaded to NATO specs. Again, I'm not sure at all if the case itself is any different from civilian specs. As far as 'military cases being made thicker than civilian cases', I really don't know that to be true.

The case necks are usually annealed, and the primer pockets are often crimped, but other than the usual differences in case wall thickness variance from manufacturers, I doubt if there is any real differences.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im in Godley/Joshua area. Bout 35 miles SW of Keller.
  9. langenc

langenc Member

That idea that military is thicker has been around a long time.

I recently weighed many cases-223-military and commercial. Little difference in weight. Some gunwriters/shooters are getting away from that idea, also.

Federal (FC) seems to weigh the heaviest.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is case weight as important as interior volume for interior balistic purposes (pressure, etc.)?
  11. jim brady

BlackEagle - the answer to that is one and the same. The reason that one brass case (if case lengths were exactly the same) would be heavier than another would be because of more brass = less available volume for both the powder charge and the resulting increased pressure from that charge.

Most of us casual reloaders measure our charges - sometimes each and every charge, we often weigh our bullets, insist on the same lots of powder and primers, and trim our cases to the exact same lengths to insure as much consistencey as possible, and get what each of us considers very accurate ammunition.

Bench Rest shooters are a different breed of cat. They are EXTREME in checking and weighing EVERYTHING and ensuring that exactly everything is the same. This includes the cases. Again, as a casual shooter, I like to make sure that my cases are the same maker and, if I can, the same lot of production. A true bench rest shooter would hold their nose and walk away from my ammo.