Case recieving v shaped dent???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by extremepyro, May 31, 2009.

1. extremepyro

extremepyro New Member

Just got my Dillon 550 up and running. Loaded a few 380's that worked fine(first rounds I ever reloaded period actually). One thing noticed in sound was more of a snap than factory ammo.

Alright now for the subject really in question. I loaded 5 (165gn Montana gold JHP)40sw and tried those out. In the magazine I loaded 3 factory and 5 of my reloaded just get a feel of recoil change. They were very accurate, more so than the factory, Seemed to have the same recoil as factory(155 flat nose). Looking at several load data I came up with 5.8 grains of Universal and use cci 500 primer finished out to 1.124 COL. This load is causing a v shaped dent in the case, at the mouth. I've seen this berfore from picking up brass after state police has shot.
    I'm using a Glock 23

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Appears to me to be nothing more than a dent that occured upon extraction. No Glock smile, so you're probably ok, I'd be curious to see what the primer looks like on those 165gr loads. The first thing I always check for after I single fire a new load, is to check the case and primer for any signs of over-pressures. I never load a new recipe with anything but ONE round in the mag until I've got at least 5 down range. Good Luck and Keep it Safe !