??? Case Sizing ???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ron01013, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Ron01013

Ron01013 New Member

I d-primed 300 9mm shells with the Lee hand Loader and re-primed with the Lee hand primer
    These cases did not size and won't fit into my beretta 92fs...I have since brought a turret press and it's working fine
    ??? is it possible to remove the d-primer from the lee die and re-size a live round???
    Is it safe???
    Thanks for any help,
    Ron
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do not resize a live round; you can resize with just a live primer installed.
  3. woolleyworm

I'm pretty sure that you've just got an empty case with a live primer, but I won't assume anything when it comes to reloading; so don't take my previous post as trying to be a smart$$$. A live "round" to me is one that is completed and ready to chamber for firing. A primed case is what I think you have at this point.:)
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Pull the bullets, dump the powder back into your container, remove the decapping pin from your resizing die, and put on your safety glasses.

Actually, now that I think a minute longer, I'm not sure I'd be as keen on doing this with the Lee Loader as with a bench-mounted press. If a primer pops inside a case inside a die on my press, some hot gasses will come out the top of my die, but my hand is nowhere close to that.

I guess I'm really not familiar enough with the Lee Loader to offer a real recommendation, but I would recommend you use caution in whatever you do.
  5. Ron01013

Ron01013 New Member

Wooleyworm,
    These are fully loaded and primed bullets, so thanks for the info...
    I'll break them apart and re-size them. I now have a Lee turret Press so I should be ok
    Thanks again everyone,
    Ron
  6. woolleyworm

No problem Ron, you'll make quick work putting them back together on the turret. It will be a pain pulling all those bullets though. Do you have a collet puller or kinetic?
    I have a habit of making a dummy round on new loads or using a case guage to check live ammo before I load more than a dozen or so. I will recheck every so often (50-100 rounds) just to ensure that nothing has gone out of spec.
  7. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I learned the hard way that a Case Gauge is HIGHLY recommended.
    I have yet to press a new round that did not properly chamber since spending that short money.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Rather than a bullet puller, I'd get a Lee Factory Crimp die, and back the crimp ring off. It has a carbide sizer ring at the bottom, just for straitening out little problems like this, and I have NEVER had one that I've used the FCD on that did not fit.

It resizes the loaded round.
  9. woolleyworm

Alpo, that is a great idea. Safe to use on a loaded round and should get the job done as intended.

btw for anyone out there new to reloading : Main reason I told the OP not to resize the loaded round was NOT for fear of it going off; but rather, you can't run a round with a bullet seated into your sizing die. It will jam, stick and possibly ruin your sizing die. Since the LFCD is a collet type die, you can and it is intended to be used on a loaded round.
  10. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

ALPO is correct (as usual) I had the same problem, but the LFCD corrected my problems. I also use the 9mm cylinder from my Ruger Blackhawk as a sizing check. If it fits there, my rounds are good in any gun I own.

I had a similar problem with a couple hundred .45 ACP rounds that needed TLC to chamber. I followed Campinjosh's procedure, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, ran them thru the sizing die with the decapper pin removed. Gunpowder makes good fertilizer, that spent powder went on my Hydrangias.
  11. Ron01013

Ron01013 New Member

ALPO,
    Thanks to all,
    the thought of pulling those rounds was not a good one..
    Glad to know there is a safe way out of this...
    Ron
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to be a smart ass. In the future it would be easier to help and less confusing if you used the proper terminology. Guessing what you mean can be dangerous. A bullet is the lead/jacketed projectile that is propelled by the firearm. Calling a loaded round a bullet may get you bad advice.
  13. Ron01013

Ron01013 New Member

Thanks Steve,
    Appreciate you getting back to me with good advice
    Ron