Case sorting

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by merbeau, Dec 15, 2011.

1. merbeau

merbeau New Member

Hi

I have just started to become serious in my rifle shooting after mainly being a pistol shooter for years and have posted several questions on this forum in which there have been some excellent ideas/suggestions.

My question now is how to sort brass - all my 222 Remington rifle brass is of the same head stamp. I am wondering how best to sort the brass. I have seen by weight, by volume, and by diameter of case. I would assume this also is done after case preparation i.e., sizing, etc.

Secondly, what sort of variation is used? Example, if using weight do you use +/- 1 grain, 0.1 grain, etc. I use to weigh all my cast pistol bullets and used +/- 0.5 grain as my culling point.

Lastly, if volume is the best way, how does one use a liquid like water - would using a coarse sand that is bigger than the primer hole be useful.

Thanks

Robert
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find sorting by weight gives the most dramatic results because the weight of a case is directly related to the capacity and I keep tolerances to about a half a percent if I can. Meaning, the average weight for a .308 win case is in the 175 gr range. meaning when I sort my .308 cases the weight groups are all held to within .9 gr lightest to heaviest.

Its the small stuff that gets real tedious. like .223s. a .223 rem case averages about 100 gr in weight, this makes the weight tolerance .5 gr lightest to heaviest.

Now ill warn you, doing it my way will require you to buy about 400 pieces of brass to get them separated into 50 piece weight groups. if you just want 20 piece weight groups, I had usable 20 piece groups within the first 100 I sorted.

speakin of which, I have a buttload of .308 WINCHESTER headstamp thats already been done, if you need any, id be happy to sell ya some of it.

Best way to sort by volume is to just hold your finger over the primer pocket and fill the case with water to the mouth, then dump the water in the scale pan. I dont do this because it makes a friggin mess and it takes twice as long, but I have done it..
  3. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

243 win. Brass. - Sort by 1/10 gr weight after full prep. Out of 100, make groups of 20. Never more than 3/10 gr difference. The real high & low ones can be used for setting up outside neck turning or what ever.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Maybe the best way is to process the cases (deprime/size and trim to length) then wiegh them, sorting them by .05 to .1 grain - depending on case size.

If you do it this way you won't need to sort by water capacity or volume. Of course you want to keep them segregated by maker and lot if possible.
  5. merbeau

merbeau New Member

Thanks for the great responses. I do not need any 308 cases, I am shooting 222 Remington and since these cases are rather small, using water seems to be extremely difficult unless perhaps a pipette is used for filling the case. One thing for sure I need to purchase some more containers to hold all the sorted cases.

Thanks again for the help - makes the task much easier.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Keep a box of freezer bags on your desk. I have freezer bags full of brass all over.