case trim

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jtp76, Oct 11, 2011.

1. jtp76

jtp76 New Member

I was wandering if a case can be to short to reload. What im getting at is i bought some new cases resized them and they are stil less than min case trim. I also have trimmed some 30-06 cases shorter than the min trim length. Will they expand back to min length with out doing any damage.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum jtp!

If you are talking a few thousands, you should not have any problems with them.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum JTP ! Can you post the dimensions that you're getting after resizing and also what reference ( volume, page, etc) that you're using for your trim data please?
    I agree with GD, that if it's only a few thousands, you'll most likely be ok and the cases will lengthen out. Remember, the less brass you have to work with, the shorter the case life.
  4. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Welcome aboard jtp from the GREAT STATE OF IOWA! We need a little more specific info, but as gd & worm said if it's minimal should be ok. What dimensions are you using?
  5. jtp76

jtp76 New Member

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and thanks for the replies i got my info from nosler book and also from loaddata.com, but i found what the real problem was, i was using a digital meter and the batteries are almost dead. I put a dial meter on the brass and they all came up above the min tim length.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Only time I think it could be too short is if the mouth won't reach the cannelure.
  7. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Another thought (although not applicable if you are only concerned with the -06), pistol cartridges that headspace on the case mouth could give you light primer strikes (no detonation) if trimmed too short.