Case trimmer?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I was wondering what kind of case trimmer most of you use. So far with my.223 there has not been a need for any. Most of those rounds are fired in the same gun and have been sized. My buddy, who I load for, has .308 and shoots an M1A and Savage bull barrelled bolt gun, and alot of his loads he has gotten from who knows where. I have already found about 4 from every 10 that need trimmed. As with most everyone price does matter, but I don't want to spend a small amount for a cheap one. If I have to I will shell it out with half coming from him to get a really good one. TIA as always.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Over the years I have trimmed a lot of cases for the 20 some rifle calibers I shoot. I have tried all sorts of trimmers over the years and all result in tedious work, at best. I tired the Lyman device that hold the case so that you can do it on a drill press---not consistent enough. I tried the hand turned mini-lathes-----takes too long to to do each one and it is tiring if you are doing several hundred cases, as I often do. The Lee pull string trimmer is a JOKE!

But what works for me is the RCBS motorized case trimmer and their case preparation station.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=481398&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=565099&t=11082005

That trimmer is fast, hands off, and trims every piece of brass to within 0.001 inches of each other. The case preparation station (also motorized) does the chamfering (inside and out) and cleans the case throat and primer pocket, all with minimum effort on my part. My system is that I unload the just trimmed case and install a new case to be trimmed. While the case is being trimmed I chamfer and clean the case previously trimmed. It goes fast that way.

I hate case trimming because it hurts my arthritic hands and is tedious but the RCBS tools minimise the time and effort for me. This setup is a bit expensive but to me well worth it. There are power drill turned mini-lathe devices by both RCBS and Lyman and maybe even Forrester and Hornady. But any powered device is well worth investigating. Midway (www.midwayusa.com) is a good source of all things reloading, as is Graf (www.grafs.com), and the Midway catalog is a good referrence manual as well.

As an aside, you are trimming after you size, aren't you? That's the correct way as the case grows in length with the resizing process.

LDBennett
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Thanks LD there is one on my horizon as the manual primer pocket cleaning is painful after as few as 50 cases. I resorted to putting the RCBS tool in the chuck of my Dewalt drill. The case trimming is another great feature as I currently use an old RCBS hand turned lathe.
  5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    L.E. Wilson. It requires a fair bit of hand work but is very accurate and easily changed for different calibers.
  6. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I'm new to reloading and had a bunch of cases from various sources.... also for a .308. I purchased the RCBS Case trimmer (manual version) and returned it immediately.

I turned around and purchased the Redding model 2400 case trimmer and love it. It's manual, but it does a great job. At least as far as I know since I'm a beginner.
  7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I use drill mounted lee trimmers, and they work well, but I think adding the RCBS case prep station will be my next step, because using the camfering tool is a PITA.

and MAYBE someday I'll add the RCBS motorized trimmer, but that is a little pricey..
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

I use the setup shown below with a carbide cutter mounted in a cordless drill.
    Its a Wilson trimer, in a Kinneman mount, with a Starrett micrometer.
    I love it.
    I have to form my own brass for one of the cartridges that I load. After forming the brass I have to trim about 1/4" of brass off the case neck. This setup makes short work of the task.

Art

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks everyone. I just back from a camping trip, and just now reading the responses. I am like L.D. in that my hands don't work for extended periods of repeditive movements, and I think that the RCBS will be my next perchase. I knew I could count on you guys. Hope you have a great week.
  10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Art,

I have the same trimmer but yours is set up much better; I like it!
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

USMC, here's a better pic of the mount. The settup was a bit pricey but to me it was worth it. I had an RCBS and it would always cut my case necks on a bevel. :(
    Trust me, that don't happen no more. ;) :D
    The carbide cutter and drill adapter are also worth there weight in gold.

Art

Attached Files:

12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Thanks for the picture, Art. Looks even quicker than I thought it was.
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

The thumb latch/clamp is real quick.
    Sinciair International sold one that had a nob that you turned to lock your caseholder in place, but I think this one works much better.

Art