CASE TRIMMERS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ace1911, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

I need to purchase a case trimmer. After lots of research online and reading review after review, I am still undecided. So, I thought I'd ask here what do you guys use?
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I use two different types depending on how many I'm trimming. I have the Lee case length cutters for every caliber I load and a RCBS Tim Pro with pilots and holders for each as well. Fifty or less and I use the Lee, over fifty and it's the RCBS. It's just easier on the hands for me.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are a couple of the lathe looking type that can be driven by an electric drill. That takes the tedium out of trimming cases.

I go whole hog and use the RCBS Trim Pro® Power Case Trimmer. It will trim all the case to within a thousandth or two. And it is easy. Load the case in, release the motor assemble and sit back while it churns away for about 10 seconds or less. I use the RCBS motorized case prep center for chamfering the inside and outside of the case mouth and cleaning the primer pockets.

LDBennett
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have to go with LD on this one, trimming was getting so tedious on a manual crank trimmer that I was not reloading much. The RCBS Trim Pro was a significant improvement. It is a bit pricey but, dealing with RCBS customer service in the past left no doubts that IF anything goes wrong with the machine, they will take care of the problem without question. The accuracy is as LD states and I have never seen outside of .002 difference between my cases when trimmed. I highly recommend looking at the Trim Pro, you will be happy trimming 100 cases in little time and still be able to feel your arm!
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Since I load mostly for handguns. I don't trim many cartridges a year. I make do with a basic hand-crank trimmer. Works for me.
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

My favorite case prep tool actually is the mini lathe, even though I have some of the standard others (Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS). The mini lathe can perform just about all case prep activities, plus a ton of other work around the reloading bench. Example, I custom make all my mandrels to fit sized cases that exactly match the expander ball in my sizing dies, I find most factory mandrels too loose, or tight, also, my mandrels are made a little longer to align the case more accurately with the cutter.

Some may say that this is an overkill for case prepping, but price out the new Hornady LNL Case station and you'll find this is a much better deal for a few more bucks, considering its capabilities vs the LNL

The lathe pictured here is a CMT Mini Lathe 7X12... a great tool for any shooter/reloader.

Check out the link below for some great reloading lathe projects.

http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

Attached Files:

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have to turn some 50BMG cases (quantity of 50 cases) into California legal 50DTC EDM cases. That involves trimming the cases on the order of 0.1 inches (That's a lot!). Plus none of my trimming stuff will handle a case that has a rim diameter of 0.804. so I too will use my lathe. I need to chuck up the case body but it has a taper to it of about 0.040 inches in about 2.8 inches. Or I have to make some kind of a shell holder device (like being used on the picture of the lathe). Still another option is the trim die but that seems too crude and too time consuming (??).

I'm still thinking about how to best do it but the next task is to anneal all the case necks. I made a turn table, have the propane torch and the pan of water, and have the temperature crayons for 700 degrees. I just have to find the time. I have yet to order the CH/4D die set and will not load up the cartridges until I have the gun chamber to test each case in. So there is no rush.

LDBennett
  8. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

For rifle cartridge cases, I really like the L.E. Wilson. It has the simplest, surest method for holding the case perfectly square to the cutter. Wilson also makes a power adapter for driving it from a drill/driver.

For pistol cartridge cases, I use the Lee system.

Andy
  9. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have a forester trimmer and it works fine.
  10. IAhunter

IAhunter New Member

+1 on the Forester. Mine is on its second cutter shaft.
  11. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

Thanks for all the help and replies. I was already leaning towards the Forster and RCBS. Can I use my cordless drill with either of them? I will look into the lathe, as I love working on lathes and mills, etc. I have even made a .50Cal muzzleloader. But, space is an issue for me so I don't think I could set up a lathe.